Chicago White Sox vs. Texas Rangers

I was very blessed to be given credentials to shoot the Chicago White Sox vs Texas Rangers game at the U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago. I began shooting images of 38 high school graduates who were voted All-Area for their accomplishments in baseball. We entered the ballpark, then went into a conference room where the boys met Chicago White Sox pitcher Matt Thornton. I shot several images of Thornton addressing the boys and fielding several questions. Then we all went onto the field where the boys were introduced to the crowd. Once the ceremony ended, Olympian and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong and his people walked onto the field to film the introduction to his Stand Up To Cancer promotion. They conducted three takes before the packed crowd.

Once the game began, I started shooting from the first baseline photogs well, then switched to the third base well in the fifth inning and stayed there through the rest of the game. Here are a few images which were shot with a D300 and 300mm f/2.8 VR lens on a monopod. I shoot from ISO 1600 to ISO 2000.

My sincerest thanks to Steve King for helping me prepare for this shooting opportunity. Steve....thanks for everything!

Here are a few shots...

1. Sox pitcher H. Vazquez tosses the ball to first baseman Paul Konerko to hold the runner.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Sox pitcher Vazquez winds up for his throw to the plate.
View attachment 226413

3. Vazquez fires a 94 mph fastball.
View attachment 226414

4. White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski drives a liner into left field.
View attachment 226415

5. White Sox fire baseman Paul Konerko drives a ball deep flyball to left field.
View attachment 226416

6. White Sox leftfielder Carlos Quentin is upset with himself as hit pops up in the infield to end the inning.
View attachment 226417

7. White Sox outfielder Nick Swisher keeps his eyes on the ball.
View attachment 226418

8. White Sox designated hitter Jim Thome crushes the ball through the infield.
View attachment 226419

9. White Sox third baseman Joe Crede (left) gets a few words of inspiration from pitching coach Greg Walker before heading out to the field.
View attachment 226420

Well mark me down for completely impressed . A great oportunity for you Frank that did not get wasted. These are fantastic images. Man to get to rub elbows with the big boys....What fun.

Good stuff.

Hey Frank,

You are most welcome, indeed!! :biggrin:

You know me, and I think you did very well. My fave's are # 2, 3, 4, 6, 8. #9 is the kind of shot that you want to go for too, since those "coachable moments" are special.

So tell us how it really felt big guy!! You're still a stud, and these just prove it. :wink:

Looks like the kids will have some fantastic shots to put in their scrapbook thanks to you, so make sure you have a few for yourself too ok?

Very nice Frank! Now caption every usable photo AP style and put them up on Photoshelter or some other agency for sale on a Rights Managed basis

frank,
i am THRILLED that you had this opportunity
and you surely made the most of it

great shooting
glad that steve king was helpful, as well

wonderful

Frank, some great work. Awesome way to take advantage of your oportunity and skills. I like 3 and 6, but just wish you didn't chop off Vazquez's toes. Minor detail though.

Well that was a great opportunity, and they are great shots, but I don't see any Rangers! :biggrin:

Excellnt for sure way to go , it is my dream to get credentialed to shoot a pro sports event, consider yourslef very very lucky. You mae the best of the oppurtunity

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom