Chickadee Moving into Birdhouse

So I hung this birdhouse that my wife bought somewhere in the tree in our front yard thinking that first it looked good in the tree and second maybe we would have a family move in there.

Sure enough yesterday I noticed some green stuff hanging out of the opening of the birdhouse. So I sat on the front porch for a minute until this Chickadee came from around the side of the house.
chickadee6_800.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I noticed that in the Chickadee's mouth it had some more fixings for it's nest that it was building. So I continued to watch my new neighbor be a bit skittish to go into the birdhouse. It looked to the left.
chickadee2_800.jpg

Then checked out the right.
chickadee3_800.jpg

It had decided the coast was clear and proceeded to the opening.
chickadee_800.jpg

One more quick check of the surroundings...
chickadee5_800.jpg

Finally it was time to go in...
chickadee4_800.jpg

It's going to be fun watching this little fella (or fellette).

C&C is always appreciated. Shot with my D50 and 70-300 VR lens at ISO 400 for some added shutter speed. The flash is my next thing to get so I can better light these little guys up a bit in the evening light.

Shots were resized and cropped a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice set of shots Dave. I agree. You are going to have some fun watching these neighbors. :smile:

Dave, this is so cute! I enjoyed how your storytelling went very well with your nice shots. I agree, you're going to have fun watching this family's activities. :smile:

Oh this is going to be so much fun - great shots!!! Looking forward to hearing/seeing updates on the new family moving in!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Very nice set, Dave. It will be great fun watching it everyday.

Thank you to all for your nice comments. It will be fun to watch them live in the bird house. It might not be an Eagle/Hawk/Osprey, but at least I've found a nest of some sort to watch. :)

Hi Dave, The little buggers can really haul the stuf in when they want to. A word to the wise for all, be very carefull about bird homes made of metal or using a metal roof. When cought in direct sun on a hot day they can cook chicks fast. If used look for shaded locations. Dave, I have the trout farm on hy 20 just a few miles from you. Grab your vr lens and come over and I will put you on one very special bird. It is on the nest now and has only a few days to go. Once hatched the chicks will leave the nest within an hour or so. The nest is in plain view and the mother bird is cool with people. I had to fence off part of the farm to keep the kids & deer from steping on her. The ranch is open from 10am till 5pm every day but Monday. You are wellcome to come over any time just call the ranch and ask for Robert, tell them who you are and they will give you my cell #. www.rainbowranchtrout.com Yup, thats right, I never did say what kind of bird it was.

Hi Dave, The little buggers can really haul the stuf in when they want to. A word to the wise for all, be very carefull about bird homes made of metal or using a metal roof. When cought in direct sun on a hot day they can cook chicks fast. If used look for shaded locations. Dave, I have the trout farm on hy 20 just a few miles from you. Grab your vr lens and come over and I will put you on one very special bird. It is on the nest now and has only a few days to go. Once hatched the chicks will leave the nest within an hour or so. The nest is in plain view and the mother bird is cool with people. I had to fence off part of the farm to keep the kids & deer from steping on her. The ranch is open from 10am till 5pm every day but Monday. You are wellcome to come over any time just call the ranch and ask for Robert, tell them who you are and they will give you my cell #. www.rainbowranchtrout.com Yup, thats right, I never did say what kind of bird it was.

Thanks for the advice Robert, I did put it in that tree on purpose as once it fills out with leaves that should leave the house fairly shaded all of the time. The trees are just taking a little longer than normal to bloom out so far this year (just like my grass).

Thank you for the offer to come and view the bird nesting. I might have to come up there tomorrow (if the weather clears up) and check it out. I actually know EXACTLY where this place is and have passed it many times while driving down Hwy. 20. I'll be giving a call later on to talk to you. Thanks again!

Here are a couple of updated shots of my Chickadee neighbor. She has the whole birdhouse stuffed with everything she could find now...as you can see behind her. This seems to be her favorite spot though, sitting right in front of the door.
chickadee12_cr.jpg

She's very quick to take off whenever I try to walk down the front steps. I'm going to have to start coming around the side of the house and up the sidewalk to get a good shot of her before she flies off like this.
chickadee13_cr.jpg

More to come...

Very nice update
Thanks.
Keep them coming:>))
They are tiny little birdies. But so cute

HUMmmm this could get interesting as that looks like a tree swallows palace unless it's a new house. The photos look great Dave but if I may say one thing when you get the flash, after you shoot a few take notice on how the bird reacts as some little birds can get blinded for an instant if to close or use of a better beamer. You might be surprised at what your pop up flash will do also. Natural light sometimes gives a nice look in a print that maybe you don't see in your monitor. A few of these should make really nice prints.
Lou

Latest threads

Top Bottom