Chief Crazy Horse memorial

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by catalyst, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Here are two snaps from the ongoing construction of the large-scale stone sculpture to Chief Crazy Horse, outside Custer, South Dakota.

The first is the work to-date, and the second shows a blast designed to help articulate his horse's head, right underneath where his outstretched arm and extended fingers will be pointing.

Both were taken with the D70 and the Sigma 70-200 mm HSM f/2.8 zoom.

It was an impressive place to practice photography! I hope you like these, and would appreciate your comments postiive and negative.

catalyst

[​IMG]

46458225.original.

2. Cool shots, Catalyst! Any way to provide a sense of scale to these? Like I see that yellow thing at the entrance to the tunnel but not sure what it is. Or are those fences/rails like the normal waist high rails?

That thing is going to be magnificent when completed!

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Man thats some serious earth (aka rock) work going on there.

The rockwork looks a tad too sharp, but I like both pics anyway

thanks !

4. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    Here's link to a shot on the Crazy Horse Memorial website that will give you a little perspective about how big it really is:

[​IMG]

C

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi had totally forgotten about that monument. I think that we are planning a motorhome trip to Mount Rushmore and the surrounding area next summer, obviously...we will travel to the Crazy Horse site as well. Thanks for posting the snaps of the area.