Children candids

Discussion in 'People' started by dtbh, Mar 30, 2007.

1. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Nothing much to shoot of late. Have these two children candids to share here. As usual hope you like them.

#1 After lunch...taken in challenging available lighting condition at 1/160s f/1.6 ISO 400.
    [​IMG]

#2 A smirk....instead of the usual smile.
    [​IMG]

2. Wonderful images, Banhup, as usual! In #1, the crumbs on her face make it a delightful capture, the expression in #2 is priceless. Both children have amazing eyes!

3. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thanks Sandi. Capturing #1 (Kimi) was a challenge. The lighting was bad (low light from incandescent, fluorescent and natural right from 3 different directions) and I hate to use ISO beyond 400 for my D200. Kimi was so hyperactive prompting me to use a high shuttle speed and to do that I needed f/1.6 in Aperture Priority. Luckily I managed to get both eyes sharp given the shallow DOF.

As for Camyn in #2, she was really cheeky. :smile:

4. Beautiful children, beautifully shot my friend!

Not easy shooting kids.....eh???????

Great colours............... :smile:

G

5. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Not easy at all! Maybe this calls for a D2xs....:biggrin:

Thanks G!

6. Very nice Banhup! Two little cuties you got there. Facial expression on #2 is hilarious!!

7. I'm not too crazy about these. The processing removes the quality that makes a child a child and introduces some kind of surreal aura that contradicts the subject... which in an of itself isn't a bad thing. Perhaps if they were living in squalor and their poverty showed on their faces and environment the processing would work FOR ME.

But that's just my opinion.

8. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thanks Keith! Glad you enjoy the smirk. :biggrin:

Thanks for your opinion Woody! Always value it. Will take note of this for future referrence. Thanks again for your frank opinion. :wink:

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I think I agree with woody on this one . Just my opinoin though , and everybody has one of those.

10. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Any reason why? I've found the high-iso performance of the D200 to far excel my previous Canon and as long as I don't underexpose, I've found the high ISO performance to be excellent.

The following pics were all taken at ISO 800 with no noise reduction done in post processing and all forms of in-camera noise reduction turned off. My PP consists of little more than contrast, exposure, and white balance adjustment during the RAW conversion. No sharpening:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    I thank you too Biggs. I always view negative comments to be great learning experience. Appreciated! :wink:

Good captures at ISO 800, Billy! I totally agree with you that ISO 800 is still usable provided one did not underexpose. I personally do not go beyond 400 (I do occasionally go to 640) mainly 'cos I tend to get less keepers doing that.

12. Banhup, I hope someday we can talk you into a tutorial on your post processing work. I kinda agree that is doesn't work so much on children as it does with the other adult shots you've posted, but I'd still like to know... :biggrin:

13. dtbh

dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Malaysia
    I'll start scratching my head. Perhaps someday when I have a definite routine. :wink: