1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Chinese Pond Heron - 600VR

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phil K, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Haven't post much recently as life is still very busy. It's autumn now and the migratory birds are starting to appear, and I look forward to another good birding season.

Went to the wetlands for a short time today and did some shooting. I was lucky to have a Chinese pond Heron that came quite close to me. It's a bird that you don't find in US so I would like to show it to you. All captured with the 600VR + TC1.7.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Very nice Phil, nice to see something different!!!

Two minor suggestions:
    • I would suggest cloning out the side branches out of the landing shoots, I think they detract a bit from a great shot!
    • Dont be afraid to go up to ISO 1000 or even more in good light with the D3. I would suggest up to 1/1600 or even faster for the landing shots, to freeze the bird even more. The way I do that is to turn on Auto ISO, then use Manual exposure to set F8 and the speed I want and then EV comp as needed.

But then again who am I to suggest things you probably already know...

3. Thank you very much Andreas. You always give me excellent advices.

I will go back to clone out the branches, hope my PP is good enough for this. :biggrin:

And yes, you are the one who taught me to use auto ISO with the D3. I set shutter speed to 1/1000 s early this morning and should had set it faster.

4. Thanks Phil, that's really a cool bird.

I'll second that ISO isn't anything for the D3.

Don

5. Just perfect shooting...And what a lens too:eek: 

6. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    I love herons ,, and this one is a beauty!!! thanks for sharing Phil . great captures. I am still trying to get some good green heron shots

7. Phil, I am impressed by the pictures. My 600vr awaits me in Germany, where I found it in one of the local stores. I plan to fly from Russia to Germany to pick it up in the middle of October (can't wait!). Meanwhile, I'm really interested in any helpful info on the useful techniques/settings to get the best results with it. If you don't mind, could you please answer a couple of Qs:

I do not have TC 1.7 and wanted to ask you if you were able to maintain AF with 600VR using it ? If AF is working, how strong is reduction in AF speed ? Did you do any sharpening of the pictures ?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  8. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Great series Phil...And thanks for kicking the lens lust up a notch for the 600 VR:eek: but I am hoping to have 400 2.8 VR in my hand in the next couple of weeks.Your Chinese Heron looks like a cross between a Greenie and a Egret here in the US,very nice indeed thanks for sharing

9. Wow...the 600 VR/1.7 TC combo is VERY sharp! Excellent series Phil.

10. Great looking shots, looks like a bleached green heron. Nicely done.

11. Slingher

Slingher

Jun 30, 2007
    Titusville FL
    Wow wow wow! Great shooting! Love them all.

12. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    :biggrin:Looks what happens when you cross an Egret and a Green Heron!:biggrin:

Cool shots.

13. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Nice! 600 + TC make a great combo!!

Agree with cloning the branches.

14. Lovely shots Phil. That TC 17 really works well with the 600. I have been contemplating to get one (to replace my TC-14E) for when I will go FX (every little bit will help :smile:) .

15. Amazing images from the biggest Nikon gun. Nice!!

16. Thank you Don. The D3 is really a great help when the light is bad.

Thank you Sal. This lens is really great.

Thank you very much. And I have never seen a green heron in person.

Thank you Nik. You will love the lens. It's very sharp wide open and image quality just decrease slightly with addition of TC. The photos are very sharp when viewed in 100%, but I always add some sharpening when size is reduced for web posting. There is noticeable decrease in AF speed in initial focusing with the TC if the light is not good. But once focus is acquired, tracking is not a problem. Focusing speed is very acceptable if light and contrast is good.

Thank you Tim. The 400VR is also a very good choice. My decision is not difficult as my brother already has a 400/2.8.

17. Thank you Rich. I'm glad that the 600VR works so well with the TC. That gives me the reach that I want.

Thank you Warren. I hope to capture a Pond Heron later in spring when it's in breeding plumage. It looks completely different and is very beautiful.

Thank you very much jessie.

Thank you Steve. Yes, it looks like a hybrid. :biggrin:

Thank you Michael. Will try to PP it.

Thank you Frits. The TC 17 is definitely useable with the 600.

Thank you Maji. And it's a great big gun.

18. Show off!
    Now I know why you bought that 600mm!
    :smile::smile::smile:
    I really thought Andreas's suggestions here were excellent.
    I tried them with the D700 too.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

19. Superb shots Phillip and I would second Andreas' suggestions.

20. Wowzer

Wowzer

Sep 17, 2006
    NYC
    Wow...amazing shots. Nice looking bird.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.