Chipped lenses via FTZ

Real Name
Paul
I'm looking at fisheye options for the Z7. The 8-15 seems the ideal choice, but it's pretty pricey. I've learned that sometimes in life it's best just to buy the best and be done with it - it often turns out cheaper in the long run! However, before I go that route, I thought I'd take a look at the cheaper options. At a little under half the price, I can get the Samyang 12mm f2.8:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rokinon-Ultra-Fisheye-Nikon-Cameras/dp/B00PDHY22C/

It's a chipped lens so it features this:

The Nikon mount features an AE chip enabling focus confirmation with fine tuning, the exposure to be control from the camera in Auto P/A/S and M modes and provides EXIF data.

Will all this work on the FTZ? I'm completely new to Nikon so I'm not au fait with the various lens interface options. When it says "exposure to be controlled from the camera" - does that mean that the aperture is controlled from the body?

Any help appreciated!

I have no direct experience but a comment on the Amazon page for this lesn says in part:
"Excellent colour and contrast. Very good sharpness wide open, excellent stopped down (even to the corners). Works well with my DSLRs but even better with a Nikon Z mirrorless where focus peaking makes it a breeze."

I can't comment on that specific lens either, but my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ED IF UMC does not play well with my Z7. The AE chip improperly communicates with the camera such that the aperture is constantly jumping and chattering. In order to make it work you need to put tape over the power pin to turn it into a "dumb" lend with no automation. Optically it is not bad and I still think a good value for the price.

Rokinon has come out with newer models that are said to work with the Z cameras, so you are wise to be doing your homework first to find someone with direct experience with the combination before buying. Google "Rokinon Nikon Z aperture chatter"

I should also respond to your original question about how the AE chipped lens are meant to work with Nikon cameras: The chip communicates with camera so that you can control exposure as you normally would in P, A, S and M modes with optional auto ISO. If you set your camera correctly to allow camera control of aperture (instead of aperture ring control), the camera can adjust aperture and you can also set it with front control ring as usual. The relevant setting on a D500 is Custom Controls, Command Dial Settings F4. On the Z7 that would be F5 but I don't see the setting for aperture control. The Z7 seems to always work with command dial/camera control of aperture and doesn't have a setting for aperture ring control.

Real Name
John Van Atta
Yeah, chipped means different things on the Z depending on the exact maker of the chip. Samyang/Rokinon has been reported to be flaky with many lenses. Zeiss ZF and CV chips work well; the aperture is controllable from the rear wheel with A mode, just like any other Nikon G series lens. Dandelion chips are weird. The aperture control works correctly, but they seem to always record a focal length of 50mm for the IBIS system, which means IBIS doesn't work for everything wider or longer than that.

Real Name
Paul
Yeah, chipped means different things on the Z depending on the exact maker of the chip. Samyang/Rokinon has been reported to be flaky with many lenses. Zeiss ZF and CV chips work well; the aperture is controllable from the rear wheel with A mode, just like any other Nikon G series lens. Dandelion chips are weird. The aperture control works correctly, but they seem to always record a focal length of 50mm for the IBIS system, which means IBIS doesn't work for everything wider or longer than that.
Thanks for that. That last point sounds like a deal-breaker.

Real Name
Paul
I can't comment on that specific lens either, but my Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 ED IF UMC does not play well with my Z7. The AE chip improperly communicates with the camera such that the aperture is constantly jumping and chattering. In order to make it work you need to put tape over the power pin to turn it into a "dumb" lend with no automation. Optically it is not bad and I still think a good value for the price.

Rokinon has come out with newer models that are said to work with the Z cameras, so you are wise to be doing your homework first to find someone with direct experience with the combination before buying. Google "Rokinon Nikon Z aperture chatter"
Thank you - that's very useful information!

Real Name
John Van Atta
Having grown used to m43 IBIS, it was a deal breaker for me to lose it :|

I ended up taping over the dandelion chip on my CV 180/4, since completely dumb lenses get IBIS so long as non-CPU is set correctly. I still sigh wistfully for what *could* be there, though.

Worth noting that the IBIS situations appears to be the same story with adapting E lenses using the Techart--it doesn't work as well as advertised.

Latest threads

Top Bottom