Chirping in the Rain

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Came home from work it was a long drive through a steady downpour when I looked over at the feeders the birds were swarming so I quick ran in set up the rig and took some shots it was almost dark and raining steadily so these shots have a little more flash than usual but we do need to be able to see them. Shot with the D2X with 200-400VR with SB800 in TTL mode. F5.6 ISO 400
    Male Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    Acrobatic Nuthatch
    [​IMG]
    Downy Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    Tufted Titmouse
    [​IMG]
    BC Chickadee
    [​IMG]
    Mourning Dove
    [​IMG]
    Tufted Titmouse II
    [​IMG]

2. Wonderful shots - I find it hard to get flash right - you make it look easy

3. all nice, mourning dove is outstanding.
    Dave
    Rain, dark, shaking head....how does he do that????

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Real beauties Mike. You make it look so easy (and I know that it surely isn't). :wink:

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Isn't great we have the tools to do this kind of work, and better still when you know how to use them

These are great, Mike !!

Matrix, Manual, shutter speed?? Inquiring minds need to know :wink:

6. The dove with the raindrops falling -- love that one especially. (Maybe a little cropping needed along the bottom, but no biggie). And that sweet little tufted titmouse in #4 - that is a very expressive birdie portrait. The colour is just perfect in these also. Wish I could do that in the rain and with flash ! BTW, now I feel guilty for sitting inside all afternoon complaining about the rain -- LOL !!

7. Thanks Andreas, it was so dark and rainy out it was hard to capture these without some look of flash in the shots, seems these guys feed like crazy right before the main part of a front comes through.

8. Thanks Dave, practice practice, practice

9. Frank
    Thanks, well after a while shooting the same subjects in the same place you get a good idea of what you have to do to get the exposure right

10. Thanks Ben these were shot in matrix with A mode and the aptrue set to 5.6 I had the SB800 set on TTL/FP with -2/3 EV dialed into the flash

11. Thanks I agree with you about the dove crop it became this cause I cut off its tail....yes get out and shoot even when it is not perfect out you might be surprised

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent Mike. Your bird shots just keep getting better and better.

13. Thanks Harry practice practice practice

14. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    These are great Mike.

I'm more curious about your outdoor setup where these birdies all pose so nicely than I am about the camera technique. Would you describe how the feeder(s) are set up etc. Maybe just pictures of it from sufficient distance to understand. On the other hand if you would rather not give away your trade secrets that's OK too.

15. Mike,

I like all of them but the second one is a real hoot. I like him/her acrobatics.

I guess from looking at them, I guess we could say that they all had their birdbath for the day. lol...

16. John
    i will try to get a few snaps you will be suprised how simple it is.... will try to get a few this weekend

17. Thanks Mellisa, it was a terrible night out but I was suprised at the amount of birds hanging out