Chocolate Toned B&W

I'm a big fan of Greg Gorman's work - particularly his lower key stuff with the "chocolate" B&W tone. Here's a few Gorman-style (of course I'm the budget Gorman - the Hyundai to his Porsche). :D

All shot with my favorite lighting set up - ultra simple - one light and a softbox:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Joe Marques said:
I'm a big fan of Greg Gorman's work - particularly his lower key stuff with the "chocolate" B&W tone. Here's a few Gorman-style (of course I'm the budget Gorman - the Hyundai to his Porsche). :D

All shot with my favorite lighting set up - ultra simple - one light and a softbox:

Hey Joe, glad to see you still posting. I really like the effect. Would you be willing to devulge step by step how it was accomplished?

Great effect, love the results.

It's amazing how a simple tilt of the head changes the entire lighting structure of her face. Great example of what can be done with a single light.

Will have to Google Gorman (sounds perverted doesn't it).

_/oe

Joe_Lorenzini said:
Great effect, love the results.

It's amazing how a simple tilt of the head changes the entire lighting structure of her face. Great example of what can be done with a single light.

Will have to Google Gorman (sounds perverted doesn't it).

_/oe
Thanks Joe. You're so right about the head tilt making the difference. It was late so my daughter wasn't her usual energetic self and out of 100 shots (in about 10 minutes) there were only 6 keepers - where the light, composition, and expression looked "right".

You know what - Google Gorman DOES sound perverse. ;)

That is a very nice look. I'd like to see that in print.

I will give it a try. Using LAB to convert was suggested to me by one of the nicer photographers that frequents dpr - Todd - and I have found that produces nicer tones.

Nice lighting too. I also like to keep it simple.

Joe Marques said:
Chad Gladstone said:
Hey Joe, glad to see you still posting. I really like the effect. Would you be willing to divulge step by step how it was accomplished?
Thanks Chad. Here's a link to the pdf from Gorman himself. :)

http://www.gormanphotography.com/bw_conversion.pdf
Thanks again Joe, I gave it a try on an iso 1600 shot for kicks -

Real Name
Chris
This chocolate color is really really amazing! I've never seen a paper tone like it, and I did a lot of paper toning. Thanks Joe for that Gorman link, I'm gonna play with this.

Your photos by the way (and your's too Chad) look just yummy!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom