Choices: D3, D700

I've found two second hand D3's.

£2500 for a mint D3 body, under 1600 clicks.
The owner went for a D700 as they travel a lot and wanted a smaller/lighter body.

£1895 D3 with 46500 clicks. Was used for stop motion film, so has been in a strudy mount and on mains power for its current lifetime.

Or a D700 at the new price of £1700?

What does the D3 offer that greatly outweighs the D700?
I know of the frame rate, and the 5:4 ratio option.
Viewfinder viewable % is minimal concern, as is weight.
DxO mark shows the sensors to have performance as close as to be identical, ever so slight advantage to D700 in hi-ISO.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor/Camera-rankings

Is the weatherproofing very much better on the D3? this would be important to me.

What else am I missing?

Image quality is the same (same sensor and same processor) so no trade off here.

As far as weather sealing ? Well I've been in the pouring rain with my D700 and no problems at all. I gave up first, I hate being wet :biggrin:

Biggest advantages of the D3 ? Faster frame rate, vertical grip, maybe the viewfinder (I now take into account that I'll get a little more when I frame my photos) and the dual card slots. Other than that …

The D700's onboard flash does come in handy when you need some fill flash and don't have a real flash at hand.

Weight isn't an issue.
I've found that out comparing my D2H and D300 with the mb-d10. The d300 + grip is slightly heavier.

Which is something else to consider, I already have the grip, so the frame rate difference is even less of a consequence.

For me, the ability to use a grip, or not, when I want is a major advantage of the D700 over the D3. I can have the big body with high FPS and long battery life when I need it, or I can strip it down, stick on a prime, and have a very compact setup for times when it is more convenient.

For me, the ability to use a grip, or not, when I want is a major advantage of the D700 over the D3. I can have the big body with high FPS and long battery life when I need it, or I can strip it down, stick on a prime, and have a very compact setup for times when it is more convenient.

That is where I see the D700 having the advantage. That and since you have the D300 with the grip it is interchangable which gives you another advantage. Im guessing you plan on keeping the D300 as well.

IQ wise there is no argument, they are absolutely similar.
Personally I favor the handling of the pro bodies as I have been shooting those since a good while (film: F4s - digital: D1x, D2h, D2x).
While I love my D700, which is built plenty solid, I can see myself swapping it for a D3 if the added $$ number is right.

That is where I see the D700 having the advantage. That and since you have the D300 with the grip it is interchangable which gives you another advantage. Im guessing you plan on keeping the D300 as well.

Will be sold, I'll probably flog it for £775 for a quick sale as most second hand d300 on ebay and in stores are about £850.
It's what I'd also expect to get on a commission sale if I do this at Fixation.

Considering it's boxed, and about 7k clicks it should sell quick on Gumtree or similar.

Latest threads

Top Bottom