Choppy Video Playback

Real Name
Don Roy
I have my Z6 set at 4k/30fps. Videos I take play back fine in the camera, but are choppy in every other app I've tried on a PC. It's not the PC in general, which cleanly plays any other 4k video all the time, even at high bitrates and 60fps. These Z6 videos also play fine in Plex on the TV (set for straight feed, no transcoding). Any ideas? ...trying to peel the onion.

Real Name
Chris
Also, are you playing from a card reader or from the HDD? Sometimes card readers are limited in speed if plugged into an old USB vice a 3.0 port.

Real Name
Don Roy
Not using a USB device. The files were copied and played from the PC's internal SSD. I also can not find it needing an odd codec. This is getting more puzzling.

This is getting more puzzling.
I think you may have missed my point. CODECs are needed for any video, but ones embedded in highly optimized hardware (SOC) will significantly outperform software running on an all purpose CPU even though considerable more raw computing power may be available.

Think of it as driving tacks using a small, magnetic tack hammer designed specifically for that purpose as opposed to using a sledge or conventional claw hammer.

Real Name
Don Roy
Now everything plays fine, arrgg! Maybe my PC was background busy or something before. Sorry to bother everyone. By the way, I use VLC media player mainly.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
might pay to check how you are recording the videos. For example the optimum shutter speed is twice the frame rate. For 24 frames per second, you want to record at 1/50 sec shutter. 60 frames per second at 1/120th second shutter. If you record 60 frames per second and your shutter speed is 1/500 then your you will get jumpy clunky video. Apologies for jumping in if you already do this

Real Name
Don Roy
Phil, no I didn't think to check that at the time. I said above is plays fine now, but thats not 100% true. The remaining artifacts could be exactly what you suggest I check. I'll see what I can find out.

I'm new the Z6 and Nikon (bought May 21) and concentrated on the photo side until now. I think I have the 1,234 or so Menu settings on the photo side understood. Now I'm digging into the video side. Given something in front of me, I'd like to have both sides set up correctly to just flip the photo/video switch, hit the doitbutton, and know I'll get what I want.

If you are used to shooting RAW, you are in for a bit of an awakening as with video, you have much less data (8 or 10 bit as opposed to 14) to work with. You need to get it as right as possible in-camera.

In 10 bit you have some leeway with grading, but 8 bit not so much. Different scenes will invariably require different settings.

But if you shoot stills in JPEG and are happy with the results, the look of your video will be close... albeit with the added constraints of the shutter speed you need.

One of the best tools for more versatility in video is a high quality variable ND filter. And of course practice, practice, practice. (c;

Real Name
Philip Armitage
Video is a different beast to photos. Flip the video switch, set "S" mode and set shutter speed to twice the frame rate. If you are outside and want to shoot 24 frames per second, the shutter speed of 1/50th can be a real challenge even at really low (50 or 32) ASA. As Scott suggested that's where the ND filters help to remove the amount of light entering the lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom