1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Chosing a CPL?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Foques, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    G'day.

I need some help choosing my a CPL.. as I understand, it will allow me to take shots with reduced glare..and more vivid colors.
    Is that correct?

What lenses am I better of using it on?
    Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    Mikon 55-200 mm f/4-5.6
    Nikkor 50 mm 1.8

How does the CPL work? What allows it to block the glare? The way I understand it, if something I can make my picture look better by adding an addition to a lens, it will take something away.. is F stop loss the only thing that i shall lose?

What kind of environments would I need to use the filter for most often?

What are the good ones?

I am shooting with d40 (hope to move to d300 soon).. and am seeing that there are some serious differences between the prices 50-1600$.
    what is so different between the filters?

thank you in advance.

2. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    Yes, f-stop is what you will lose... quite a bit for general purposes, a little more than 1 stop loss. If sun is in the south, then camera aimed east or west is best effect (at right angles to sun). You put it on, aim the camera, watch in viewfinder as you rotate the filter for best effect (often the darkest view, but watch what happens). It darkens blue skies and can eliminate reflections on water or glass (but not on metal - it works for glare on non-electrical-conducting materials). Anti-reflective coatings is main difference for price, the difference in any cheap filter or a good filter. The slim Nikon brand filter is hard to beat for the price. Buy ONE good one for your largest lens filter size (probably 77mm), and add cheap step up rings for smaller lenses.

Read some about cpl: http://www.google.com/search?q=polarizing+filter

3. Well he is lucky that all his lenses are 52mm.

This is the one I'd buy: http://maxsaver.net/Kenko-52mm-PRO1-Digital-WIDE-BAND-Circular-Pol-Filter.aspx

There is no sense in spending a ton on B&W filters when you don't have multi-$k lenses, IMO.

The Hoya/Kenko Pro1 series is well made, with very good polarizing performance, and thin enough to avoid vignetting, yet still hold a lens cap. You won't find a better price than the link I provided. Takes a week or two to arrive from HK though.

4. +1

Yeah . . . What he said.

5. Another vote from me. I get all mine from maxsaver too - great service, considering how far they have to send from.

I just ordered a couple of Hoya HD CPLs. Supposedly the filter-factor isn't quite as bad as the normal ones, which would be great. We'll see.

6. Foques

Foques

May 13, 2009
    Streamwood, IL
    you know, I was digging through he box that i have from my camera. And found a very nikon one. I'll just play with it for now. thank you for everyones replies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.