Christmas Cactus-Art History Brush

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by DianeR, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Hi, everyone - today I noticed that my Christmas Cactus is beginning to bloom already and had to take the opportunity to capture the first bloom as it was opening. I then used the Art History brush to give it a "painterly" look. Hope you like it. :smile:
    large.

2. Nice job Diane, it looks fabulous. My Christmas Cactus has buds, but no blooms yet.

3. Thanks Scott - it's early to be blooming I think - there are buds all over it that suddenly appeared.

4. Diane,

Refresh my memory, how do I find the art history brush? What settings did you use with the art history brush?

Very beautiful too.

Thanks,

5. It's one of Trimoon's brush sets - Spatter 15, and used at the default size and then size reduced to bring in a little more detail. The brush toolset is on his website www.trimoon.com. I just checked over there and I can't remember now which set this brush is in! (Senior Moment.) He shared the tutorial on how to use it over on the retouch forum along with the brush and texture file 121. But durn if I can find it now - we need KentC over here!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Diane that is quite beautiful.
    Good work.

7. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Diane

Oh Boy

Diane that is beautiful.

I love the very delicate colours - just pefect.
    It looks so much like a painting - fabulous.

Very best wishes

Ray

8. Thanks Gale and Ray - It's 7:00 a.m. here and this same bloom has opened even more, so may post a "straight" shot of it here. It's pouring down rain and looks like it will be a grey day - what better way to pass the time! :biggrin:

9. This one is super...saw it over at DPR also....post the new one !!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. Thanks Mike - I haven't taken it yet - too busy catching up on what's happening at the Cafe!! And Gale, I'm still half asleep and noticed I misspelled your name in the original post - :redface: have since corrected. :smile:

11. Melissa,

Since this IS the Retouching Forum, here is Trimoon's post on DPR sometime ago that I had saved and once you get the hang of it, you can go off on your own and experiment.

"There are several ways to use the art history brush. One is to take a snapshot. I’m going to show you an easy and quick way.
    Here are the steps:

1. Open your image.
    2. Make any adjustments to that image (such as size, color, etc.).
    3. Save this image (should be a single layer image) and close.
    4. Reopen. It should have all the adjustments done (size, color, etc.).
    5. Drag over the texture, which will create a second layer. If the texture is too big, use free transform and shrink it down. If it’s too small, increase the dpi size to match your subject (original image). If your original image is 8x12 at 180 dpi, take your texture image and make it 8x12 at 180 dpi, then drag it over to your subject.
    6. Create a third layer with a blending mode of hard light.
    7. Apply your art history brush to the hard light layer using short brush strokes. This means don’t hold the mouse down and just start painting all over the page. You should let up off the mouse button constantly. You should be able to control how your brush strokes lay down if you go slowly.
    8. You may want to add a little more depth and color to the image. Create a fourth layer, if you like, and set the blending mode to hard light again. You can even add a fifth and sixth layers with different layer blendings, such as screen for those dark areas. If it lightens it too much, adjust the opacity. You might want to set the blending mode to vivid light to bring your reds and greens out

Some final notes: By adjusting the opacity to these different layers, you will be surprised at the depth you will achieve. The colors can be adjusted in the same manner. To give the illusion of wet water color paint, try over sharpening using the USM. Remember, you can never change the size of this image once you’ve started. You have to finish what you start in one session."

Hope this is helpful to you - I know it was for me.
    P.S. The texture file he is referring to is his Texture 121.psd file that was on his website but I suspect you could use any texture file - he would have to clarify that.

12. Trimoon Tutorial

Hi, Diane

Welcome to the retouching forum! I enjoyed seeing the work you did on your "Christmas Cactus" and appreciate the Trimoon tutorial info!

Many thanks!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera"

13. Thank you so much Diane for the tutorial. I will look for the art history brush on Trimoon's site. Or email Trimoon for it.

14. Thank you so much Diane for the tutorial. I will look for the art history brush on Trimoon's site. Or email Trimoon for it.

15. Ok . . .

Here's what the bloom looks like today and this was tough to get because it had to be shot from underneath, almost flat on my back with the cat wanting to put his two cents worth into the effort at the same time. Gotta love it. Available light, not as sharp as I like but you get the idea! :smile:

16. Beautiful.....:smile:

17. Thanks Diane for going through the trouble to get this shot. It certainly was worth it because it is so beautiful.

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Diane,
    :>)) (never noticed mispelled name.) I read and invent all typos..

Flower is very beautiful.
    Thank you for the tut.

19. Pretty, pretty, pretty.... almost has a water-glass effect to it.

20. Very nice Diane, I like it a lot.