Critique Christmas cactus

Trying to learn how to light a flower. Not easy, at least not for me.
Wife wanted a picture of her Christmas cactus.
Beautiful flower.
Any thoughts on how to improve lighting?
This is a very soft light off to the right and a white cardboard reflector off to the left. Nothing exciting.
Almost no post- a little dodging and burning.
Color works here, but I always try black and white as well.
Thanks for looking
gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I agree that the monochrome image works especially well, though the color version is also very nice. I can't think of anything in your lighting setup that might improve it but I wonder if you could improve the post-processing of the far right bright part of the flower in the monochrome image to bring out the detail displayed in the color image.

This is a very soft light off to the right
Please clarify what you mean by that. As an example, is there diffusion material between the light and the subject?

Last edited:
My light source is an led lamp that is covered with a diffusion sock. This is mounted in a 12" softbox- front material of the softbox a second layer of diffusion. The softbox is about an inch to the right of the flower. It is as soft of a light as I could make.
The white Pistil made this difficult. I almost cut it off, but that would not have been correct for the flower.
I will look back at the bw. The only difference is I may have burnt that piece a little more on the color version.
Thanks for the guidance.
Trying to get better at this
gary

Real Name
Andy
I like the way this has turned out very much, and probably would have also chosen soft lighting for the flower. But since you've flagged the thread for critique, I'll offer a question (to which I truly don't know the answer):

Would the flower appear more three-dimensional if the lighting was a little harder and with reduced fill from the reflector?

This is a beautiful flower worth playing with, Gary.

I like the colors, but that image almost looks flat. There is not enough shadow there to keep my interest. This is not as evident in the B&W. I believe this is a problem with LED lighting even when properly diffused. Perhaps experiment with the placement of a bare bulb to get a little more shadowing.

I really like the B&W image. The green and the pink colors are competing with each other in the color image. Also the bright parts on the pink flower seem a bit distracting to me. There are no such issues in the B&W image.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom