Christmas Gift - 2nd LCD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Marques, Dec 26, 2005.

1. I couldn't be happier with my new addition to my editing platform - a 2nd LCD - and highly recommend it to those of you who might be on the fence. A second LCD makes PS so much more efficient. It allows me to view the photo at 50% magnification on the primary LCD with a large preview image on the 2nd LCD and an assortment of tools fully expanded (including 3 channel histogram - something not practical on one LCD).

Here's a shot of the set-up. My Samsung 21.3" 213T on the left and the new addition - AG Neovo F-419 (19") on the right. Both are profiled and calibrated (although the angle of view makes the 2nd LCD look darker and more contrasty - the match is much closer than the picture). Photoshop has never been easier. :smile: Notice the near pefectly matched print on the desk (again, any color difference is light source and angle of view).

Happy holidays to all.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2005
  2. Flew

Jan 25, 2005

I've been using a dual LCD set-up for a couple of years and you're right. There's nothing like it. The same set-up works for both PS and for NC (which unfortunately you can't use :biggrin:).

I highly recommend it. :smile:
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Joe, I've been thinking about going to dual monitors for a while now, and this was just the imputes I needed to make the move. Got that same AG Neovo F-419 for 275 @Newegg with free shipping! What vid card are you running?
    btw, I got my Pocket Wizards figured out, so disregard that email.
  4. Glad you got the PW's sorted out - I was just working on a repy - sorry it took so long.

I'm running a PNY GeForce 6600GT - which has dual DVI. I had to ditch my GeForce FX5900Ultra because it was single DVI and single VGA and I didn't want to use a DVI to VGA on my one LCD. I thought dual DVI would be more accurate although I don't know enough about the differences to be certain.

PS - The Neovo is a great value but not great for critical editing. The Samsung I'm running is far better for color accuracy in the important mid-tone areas and shadow transitions. The Neovo is a mid-range "punchy" display that is probably a hot seller for gaming since it has 12ms refresh rates and is around $200 after rebate.
  5. Hi Frank,

Merry Christmas. What's NC? Never heard of it? Is it some special Nikon type product. :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

6. Joe
    Good looking set up. I use something quite similar except that I do not calibrate my 2nd monitor only because I simply use it for pallets and tools.
    Only way to go tho for photo editing is dual monitors.
    PS NC is..........
  7. general

Apr 30, 2005

You will enjoy it. I run two Dell Ultra Sharp LCDs but only calibrate the primary since I too only use the second monitor for tools, palettes, or instructions. Enjoy!
  8. question
    How do you get two of the navigator/info/histogram on there?????
  9. I just dumped my two-monitor setup for a single Apple 23 inch Cinema Display. Since 98% of my work is portrait orientation, a full frame from my X will display at 25% with an acre of real estate on the right for PS palettes that I can clear off (or bring back) with a simple tap on the TAB key.

I'm very happy to be free of all that desk clutter. But... that's just my opinion because it's what works best for me.

10. I figured it out, duh, it wernt to hartd
  11. Same thing..... I bought two 19" Princeton from Costco for $299 each
    and "Energy star" only 45watts of power used

I use to run two 17 crt... they got hot during the summer must have been 100watts each

now if I could only get rid of all my other junk on the desk..... :)
  12. Hi Woody,

I would be just as happy with one 23" inch cinema display since it's widescreen and has plenty of palette space. The issue for me is already having a 21" LCD (so the upgrade was cheap and I have 2 LCD's for the price of one Apple 20"). BTW, once the 30" is under $2000 that will be the ultimate IMO.

13. I wasn't going to calibrated it but it looked so bad out of the box I had to do it. :wink: In fact, I didn't realize just how great Samsung is until I saw a lower end model. IMO Samsung is the best reasonably priced LCD on the market for photography (Apple is better but a tad pricier and the high end dell's are nice - I think they have the same LCD as Samsung). I went from a 21" Trinitron CRT to my Samsung LCD and have no complaints about print matching.

14. Don't see the image - I think you have one too many brackets [.
  15. Flew

Jan 25, 2005

I fixed it (it was an extra '['), but that's weird, because the image did show up earlier.

Things that make you go hmmmmm. :confused: