Christmas Gift - 2nd LCD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe Marques, Dec 26, 2005.

1. I couldn't be happier with my new addition to my editing platform - a 2nd LCD - and highly recommend it to those of you who might be on the fence. A second LCD makes PS so much more efficient. It allows me to view the photo at 50% magnification on the primary LCD with a large preview image on the 2nd LCD and an assortment of tools fully expanded (including 3 channel histogram - something not practical on one LCD).

Here's a shot of the set-up. My Samsung 21.3" 213T on the left and the new addition - AG Neovo F-419 (19") on the right. Both are profiled and calibrated (although the angle of view makes the 2nd LCD look darker and more contrasty - the match is much closer than the picture). Photoshop has never been easier. :smile: Notice the near pefectly matched print on the desk (again, any color difference is light source and angle of view).

[​IMG]

Happy holidays to all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Joe,

I've been using a dual LCD set-up for a couple of years and you're right. There's nothing like it. The same set-up works for both PS and for NC (which unfortunately you can't use :biggrin:).

I highly recommend it. :smile:

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Joe, I've been thinking about going to dual monitors for a while now, and this was just the imputes I needed to make the move. Got that same AG Neovo F-419 for 275 @Newegg with free shipping! What vid card are you running?
    btw, I got my Pocket Wizards figured out, so disregard that email.

4. Glad you got the PW's sorted out - I was just working on a repy - sorry it took so long.

I'm running a PNY GeForce 6600GT - which has dual DVI. I had to ditch my GeForce FX5900Ultra because it was single DVI and single VGA and I didn't want to use a DVI to VGA on my one LCD. I thought dual DVI would be more accurate although I don't know enough about the differences to be certain.

PS - The Neovo is a great value but not great for critical editing. The Samsung I'm running is far better for color accuracy in the important mid-tone areas and shadow transitions. The Neovo is a mid-range "punchy" display that is probably a hot seller for gaming since it has 12ms refresh rates and is around $200 after rebate.

5. Hi Frank,

Merry Christmas. What's NC? Never heard of it? Is it some special Nikon type product. :biggrin: :tongue: :biggrin:

6. Joe
    Good looking set up. I use something quite similar except that I do not calibrate my 2nd monitor only because I simply use it for pallets and tools.
    Only way to go tho for photo editing is dual monitors.
    Dave
    PS NC is..........

7. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Congratulations

You will enjoy it. I run two Dell Ultra Sharp LCDs but only calibrate the primary since I too only use the second monitor for tools, palettes, or instructions. Enjoy!

8. question
    How do you get two of the navigator/info/histogram on there?????

9. I just dumped my two-monitor setup for a single Apple 23 inch Cinema Display. Since 98% of my work is portrait orientation, a full frame from my X will display at 25% with an acre of real estate on the right for PS palettes that I can clear off (or bring back) with a simple tap on the TAB key.

I'm very happy to be free of all that desk clutter. But... that's just my opinion because it's what works best for me.

Woody

10. I figured it out, duh, it wernt to hartd

11. Same thing..... I bought two 19" Princeton from Costco for $299 each
    and "Energy star" only 45watts of power used

I use to run two 17 crt... they got hot during the summer must have been 100watts each

now if I could only get rid of all my other junk on the desk..... :)

12. Hi Woody,

I would be just as happy with one 23" inch cinema display since it's widescreen and has plenty of palette space. The issue for me is already having a 21" LCD (so the upgrade was cheap and I have 2 LCD's for the price of one Apple 20"). BTW, once the 30" is under $2000 that will be the ultimate IMO.

Regards,

Joe

13. I wasn't going to calibrated it but it looked so bad out of the box I had to do it. :wink: In fact, I didn't realize just how great Samsung is until I saw a lower end model. IMO Samsung is the best reasonably priced LCD on the market for photography (Apple is better but a tad pricier and the high end dell's are nice - I think they have the same LCD as Samsung). I went from a 21" Trinitron CRT to my Samsung LCD and have no complaints about print matching.

Joe

14. Don't see the image - I think you have one too many brackets [.

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Pa,

I fixed it (it was an extra '['), but that's weird, because the image did show up earlier.

Things that make you go hmmmmm. :confused: