Christmas portrait of a friend

Discussion in 'People' started by Frits, Dec 12, 2005.

1. This weekend we had some friends over for dinner. This is a quick portrait of one of our friends (I know the xmas tree makes a too busy background if it were to be a serious portrait, but hey, this is just a Christmas snapshot).

original.

2. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Beautiful portrait shot Frits,bg gives festivity look.

3. Very nice and fun Christmas portrait. The young lady is beautiful and her expression natural.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shot. My first impression was you must have shot with only ambient light to get so much sparkle/glow from the lights, but the I see the catch-lights. Slow-sync flash?

5. Good guess Jeff. I kind of customize slow-flash by putting the cam. on manual. I then tune in the f-stop and shutter speed I want (with emphasis on the latter).
    For this kind of shot (xmas decoration, fireplace etc.) I like to use about 1 sec.
    Evidently this only works when you have a subject that can keep reasonably still, although slight movement is not a killer.
    I prefer this over "slow flash" setting, since I have more control. Of course if I were to use "slow flash" I could dial in flash correction on the SB-28DX, but I rather just go manual.