Christmas tree - day 3 (5 pics)

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Frits, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Here is today's installment (first thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57379

All right, early today we reached the summit (with the lights only):

Now we're hauling up the boxes with ornaments (these 2 images give a partial view only):

Here is an interesting accidental shot: As I was chimping and handling the D1x, it accidently went off - this is the result of a moving camera set at slow flash (I'll experiment some with that, it has a future :biggrin: ).

Now, onward with the ornaments. Regardless, we are still a full half day behind schedule...:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ya know Fritz,
    I love these shots and the progression of the setting up.
    I think your accident is great. Would be fun to play with some more of that. You sure have enough lights.

I missed this post.

(I think this catagory is a lost cause.
    Not good me thinks.)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fritz
    I came back to look at your squiggly lights :>)

Do you notice everything is in focus except the lights. Hummmm
    Can you explain that one to me.....

4. Gale, this accident is easily explained. I shot most of the series in "slow flash". That means a fairly long shutter time - 1 sec. or so - after (in this case) the flash has fired (you can do rear curtain also). What this does (here), is show the incandescent lights together with the scene you are shooting. If you were to shoot an xmas tree with regular flash, the lights would just about not show in what will be a very cold picture.
    Now, what happened here is I moved the cam, right? So, during the about 1 sec. shutter time the lights were exposed (streaked). Then, the flash fired, "freezing" the rest of the room. Since it was pretty dark, this is the only exposure the room got. If there were more ambient light, the room would have shown a certain degree of "movement" also.
    Boy, I hope I explained that understandibly. If I am rambling, get back to me so I can try again :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Fritz,

Thanks.. that makes sence....I do understand.

Now do I know how to do it , well noooooo.. But I will try to remember if I try something like that.

Thats just to cool.