Christmas Tree Portrait: How to Propely Expose?

I have attached a link to another thread posted a few years back which I found while searching under this topic. The thread posts didnt really discuss the step by step settings to properly expose for a shot like this.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=58105&highlight=christmas+tree+portrait

I assume there will be many Nikon Cafe members attempting a shot like this during the holiday season, so any help would be appreciated by myself and many others.

Questions myself and other members may have:

1. We all know how to expose for the tree, but what shutter speed, f-stop, and ISO is best for a shot like this (when flash will be used)?

2. What type of flash is best? Direct pop-up flash, SB600/800/900 on camera flash, bounch flash, umbrella flash, etc.

3. What setting should the flash be on?

4. Is a tripod a must have?

Please post your results!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Dave, Been trying the same shot. This one shot @ f/5
1/50 iso 400. 62 mm. Tripod, Umbrella left, SB 800, Hair light behind right with snoot. Just a novice at lighting. I brought down the shutter speed for more ambient light got more blur, he wont
sit still for a second. Hope to hear more suggestions.
web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Well I guess it really all depends on the final look you want. If you want the person and the tree to both appear well in focus, then you would have to work around with a higher aperture and slower speed with tripod.

Me and my room mates finally decorated the tree and I thought a perfect time to go ahead and take a few shots. So I got out my umbrellas and flashes and did a quick set up and got the following shot. Set umbrella to the right and left and flash on camera also.

Setting: f/2.8, 1/250 s, LO-0.3 ISO...
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have attached a link to another thread posted a few years back which I found while searching under this topic. The thread posts didnt really discuss the step by step settings to properly expose for a shot like this.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=58105&highlight=christmas+tree+portrait
[/SIZE]

Dave, I will walk you through how I shot the image you refer to:

The challenge here is to have a nice portrait, as well as the warmth of the Christmas tree. The same would hold true for shooting someone in front of a fireplace, for example.

In this case I wanted to use some flash. Shooting a regular flash shot however would kill the warmth of the tree and its lights. It would be a very cold and boring shot.
So, I want to light the person with my flash, but maintain the nice look of the tree lights.
You will want the flash to only do part of the job.
In this case I set the camera to manual, selected the desired f-stop (f/5), activated the flash on TTL and then just dialed down the shutter speed. This until I had obtained the desired result: a properly exposed person and sufficient shutter time to show the nice lights (in this case 1 second).
(you can vary the effect: longer shutter speed=warmer lights, shorter shutter speed=colder lights)
Presto!

(btw: this is the same principle as the "slow flash" setting on some cameras. But I find that too limiting and extend the possibilities by going manual)

Dave, I will walk you through how I shot the image you refer to:

The challenge here is to have a nice portrait, as well as the warmth of the Christmas tree. The same would hold true for shooting someone in front of a fireplace, for example.

In this case I wanted to use some flash. Shooting a regular flash shot however would kill the warmth of the tree and its lights. It would be a very cold and boring shot.
So, I want to light the person with my flash, but maintain the nice look of the tree lights.
You will want the flash to only do part of the job.
In this case I set the camera to manual, selected the desired f-stop (f/5), activated the flash on TTL and then just dialed down the shutter speed. This until I had obtained the desired result: a properly exposed person and sufficient shutter time to show the nice lights (in this case 1 second).
(you can vary the effect: longer shutter speed=warmer lights, shorter shutter speed=colder lights)
Presto!

(btw: this is the same principle as the "slow flash" setting on some cameras. But I find that too limiting and extend the possibilities by going manual)

I think I got it now...conceptually.

I do have a few questions which may clarify some things for myself and others.

1. Looks like tripod is a must. Without one, you are probably limited to 1/20 or 1/10 which still wont let in enough ambient light (at least for my taste).

2. Was your ISO at 100?

3. Did you use direct flash? I am a big fan of Gary Fong's lightshere and will probably use the cloud version (covered) pointed straight up.

4. How did you soften the background with f5? Looks to me like you traced your subject in photoshop, did an inverse selection and added guassian blur. Am I correct?

Thanks for the help, Fritz. I thought about just sending you a PM but figured others could take advantage of this information. In fact, my office mate and I just organized the chairs in the office along with angling a foam core poster board mimicking the setup!

Thanks again!

1. Looks like tripod is a must. Without one, you are probably limited to 1/20 or 1/10 which still wont let in enough ambient light (at least for my taste).
Yes, at 1 sec. a tripod was a must (and a subject that could hold still!)

2. Was your ISO at 100?
Shot with a D1x at base ISO (125)

3. Did you use direct flash? I am a big fan of Gary Fong's lightshere and will probably use the cloud version (covered) pointed straight up.
Direct (at 45 deg. angle), but with an omni-bounce diffuser

4. How did you soften the background with f5? Looks to me like you traced your subject in photoshop, did an inverse selection and added guassian blur. Am I correct?
Nope :smile:, this is as shot (with an AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 lens)
edit: going back to the original, the background was indeed blurred a bit. I did a gaussian blur on all of the image to soften up the skin, then erased areas I wanted to be sharp - so you were right :smile:

Thanks for the help, Fritz. I thought about just sending you a PM but figured others could take advantage of this information. In fact, my office mate and I just organized the chairs in the office along with angling a foam core poster board mimicking the setup!

Thanks again!
Here you go! :smile:

I am giving it a shot tonight...

I only have a 3 foot tree, white lights, and a 5 pound chihuahua as my subject! This should make for an interesting shot!

I am giving it a shot tonight...

I only have a 3 foot tree, white lights, and a 5 pound chihuahua as my subject! This should make for an interesting shot!

That explains the 105mm macro in your gear list :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom