Christo's The Gates, NYC

Some of you may have already seen this post on dpreview...so sorry for the cross-post, but I think some of you don't go there anymore ;-) If anyone is in the NY area and doesn't go to see this, you are missing out on something awesome. Whether or not you think it is "art" (and I do), its undoubtedly an experience. Not to mention a great photo op! Personally, I find the work magnificent, monumental, and moving...I was overwhelmed by the whole experience, choked up with emotion at many moments. But that's just me ;-) I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Sorry for so many, but I shot an entire 1GB card and needed more...

All D100, 12-24DX, except for one which I'll note below.

gates_5255a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

gates_5252a.jpg

gates_5217w.jpg

gates_5270b.jpg

this one with 28-200G
gates_5282a.jpg

gates_5320a.jpg

gates_5310a.jpg

gates_5316-2a.jpg

Beautiful images Janet and I'm sure it would be much more impressive to see in person. Thanks for sharing your experience and your photo's.

Janet, sounds like you had a similar reaction to the one that I had with the Eagles. Very impressive!!

Frank

Hi Janet,

Many thanks for posting. Nan will be interested in seeing your photos. We were discussing it at dinner earlier tonight.

The event was covered down here in the Ft. Lauderdale newspaper today (Sunday), but there was only one photo: 1) Black and white 2) only about 4 of the arches pictured 3) they had not hung the cloth yet. Other than that, just like your photos :roll:

Thanks,
Bob & Nan

Hi Janet,
Just love these pictures. Our son sent us a bunch of his pictures taken today and they were junk compared to these. He has a point and shoot and he spent the day at this picture site. These are works of art and I appreciate seeing them.

Thanks for sharing them with us. (and please double post because I'm never sure to get 'here and there'..

Gaye

Thanks everyone! It was really an exhilarating day. I rarely shoot in NYC (except for the birds, of course!) and so this was kind of a change for me. Alot of fun, it seemed like everyone there had a camera, I saw everything from point and shoots to medium format and even some really strange things I don't even know what they were.

Gaye, its hard to know where to post since some good folks are still on dpreview...I will continue to post to both at least for the more interesting stuff ;-) BTW, I tried the 28-200 and liked it alot, and Alan is very very happy with it!

Hi Janet,
I've looked at these pictures several times. The color is amazing and I'll bet just like it in real life.

I just put a Florida Panther picture in 'Animals' --I used the 70-200 because too dusty to change lenses. Sure wouldn't want to go on a real safari with all that dust.

Really pleased you like the lenses.

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures of your day in NYC at the 'Gates'...

Gaye

Very nice!

Hi Janet,

Very well seen and captured! It must have been a fun day in the park...

My favorite is this one. Where was it taken from?
gates_5270b.jpg

JC

Janet,

I was hoping we would see photographs from you of the Gates. Wonderful. My favorite is the same as Phillipe's. I grew up in NYC and left 17 years ago. Now that my mother moved down to FLA last year, I don't have much reason to visit. You made me miss it. :cry:

Joel

Re: Very nice!

Philippe Roger said:
Hi Janet,

Very well seen and captured! It must have been a fun day in the park...

My favorite is this one. Where was it taken from?

Hi Philippe, that was taken from the top of Belvedere Castle--its not really a castle, but a park structure designed to look a bit like one...its built on a high bluff over this pond. Its where they base the hawk watch during migration!

Latest threads

Top Bottom