Chroma Key (green / blue screen) event shooting

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Ruffles, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Hi everyone. My wife has volunteered me to shoot kid pictures at the Halloween Carnival at my sons elementary school. Normally, I would complain but instead, I'm looking at this as justification to buy new stuff (and she can't argue because it was her idea :biggrin:) . Do any of you have experience with this sort of thing? I've been looking at PhotoKey Batch http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/tubetape/the-111/green-screen-software-chroma/Detail software. I'm wondering how well this works.

I'll be running the whole thing on my own which means shooting the pic, doing the processing, and printing a 4x6 on site so work flow is very important. I assume the key to getting it to work well is even lighting on the background? Any other tips or tricks you can recommend?

I have 4 speedlights and a monolight with softbox. I plan to light the green screen with the 4 speedlights (from the sides, 2 high and 2 down low) and use the softbox on the kids. I'll shoot jpgs tethered with the D3 and hopefully, my laptop will be powerful enough to render and print the composite all under 30 sec to a min.

2. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Hi Ruffles,

Although I haven't used that software, or done anything like that photographically, I have used chroma a lot in video work.

My one word of advice is to minimise the amount of light that bounces back from the background onto the subject. If there's too much you get a coloured rim on the subject and the keying effect won't look right.

So - try to get the subject as far away from the background as possible and don't overlight the background in relation to the subject.

Hope that helps!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.