1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Chromatic aberration?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Yulia, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Yulia

Yulia

Dec 21, 2008
    Ma USA
    I've noticed that i get a lot of chromatic aberration on my photos...I thought you can only get it on f/2.8 or something like that...I was photographing on f/14 today and still all the trees got this awful blue blur around...Is it normal or i do something wrong? thanks!

here are crops from pics

f/14 1/200 70mm iso200
    chrom2-vi.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f/9 1/80 70mm iso320
    chrom-vi.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  2. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    First off it's chromatic aberration.

Second there's nothing in both photos. The blue you're seeing is just the green leaves blending into the sky. That's perfectly normal.

Here's what blue chromatic aberration would look like in trees :

[​IMG]

3. Yulia

Yulia

Dec 21, 2008
    Ma USA
    oops :) 
    sorry i misspelled it :( 

and thank you for your answer...

So there is nothing i can do? I don't know why but it bothers me big time...

ps
    can't edit the title of the post...

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    You can stop shooting with trees as a background :tongue:

No but seriously I don't can't see why you hate it so badly. Oh and you can go back and edit the title, just go to edit and Go advanced.

5. Yulia

Yulia

Dec 21, 2008
    Ma USA
    wow! i learn something new every day!!thanks!

6. kaska

kaska

Apr 17, 2009
    NY
    First pic, I see no CA.
    Second pic, there might be some. The tree in the middle of frame and blurry, but the size of photo make it hard to see. Anyway, I don't see much problem with your pics. Maybe post the full version?

7. lowell5

lowell5

Jan 23, 2009
    san diego
    not seeing any in the first pic either..the second might have some since you have a very bright background (sky) against some darker colored leaves, but i think thats fairly expected and i dont really see any big problems.

8. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    CA is the failure of an optical instrument to focus different wavelengths (colors) of light to the same point on the optical axis. The visual artifact is color fringing along the borders of dark and light areas, like the example in another reply above. Usually, the further you look from the center of the image, the more pronounced the effect.

I see no CA in the examples you posted. The background simply looks out of focus (which is intentional, correct?)

9. Yulia

Yulia

Dec 21, 2008
    Ma USA
    thank you guys!
    i was not sure if that is CA or not...just wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with my camera/lens :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.