Chrome omnibox triggering NC 20 second search timeout

I have a question about the vBulletin setting that forces you to wait 20 seconds between searches; when I begin to type into the URL bar in Chrome the auto-complete kicks in and triggers a URL request of the NC server before I've ever hit enter:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And here's the traffic that the browser sends before I hit enter:
URL: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/search.php?searchid=5018449
RESPONSE CODE: 200 OK

Is there a way keep vBulletin from punishing me w/ a 20 second timeout?

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Mike
The 20-second search delay is a global setting for vBulletin and applies to all users, registered or not. It's not possible to remove or reduce the delay to only registered users.

Although we don't allow search robots or spiders to access the forum, that doesn't stop them from banging on the front door trying to harvest anything they can. The 20-second delay reduces the server load from the automated harvest attempts.

Have you considered turning off autocomplete in Chrome?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 20-second search delay is a global setting for vBulletin and applies to all users, registered or not. It's not possible to remove or reduce the delay to only registered users.

Although we don't allow search robots or spiders to access the forum, that doesn't stop them from banging on the front door trying to harvest anything they can. The 20-second delay reduces the server load from the automated harvest attempts.

Have you considered turning off autocomplete in Chrome?
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info - I was guessing as much. The autocomplete is too useful for the other 99% of the web for me to turn off. I haven't found a setting for autocomplete that asks the browser not to ping the server before the user commits to the search. I presume they do this to speed up page load times.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean, consider a different browser for (just?) NikonCafe browsing, maybe?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom