Chromebook Manual/Guide

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by nu2scene, Jan 12, 2018.

1. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I decided to try my hand at using a Chromebook. I bought it on Amazon and it should be here in a few days.

I'm kind of old school when I comes to learning how to use things, so I'm looking for a good manual/guide to Chromebooks. I immediately looked for a David Pogue Missing Manual for Chromebooks but couldn't find anything.

So I'm looking for a good guide that explains everything and something I could use as a reference. Is there something out there that would b recommended?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I have one ... love it.
    There is nothing really to learn, it's basically a Google search engine which allows you to bookmark your favorite sites for quick navigation. Has limited storage capability unless you got Windows with it.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Honestly, your best bet is to go through the Chromebook help and search for things on the internet. I have an HP Chromebook 14, which I love to death. I believe it is 2 years old now. Great for web surfing and you can get imaging apps like Polarr. Actually really good for how light it is.

4. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I've had a couple of Chromebooks, first one was a Google "product" that never made it into the market. I tried using it, but pieces of the HW didn't work very well. Next one was a Toshiba, I used it for a couple of years. I've never seen a manual for one, not sure it's needed. These are pretty easy machines to come up to speed on fast.

5. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to the Chromebook arriving.

I do have another question about google accounts. I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't have a gmail address or any sort of google account.

So my question is for the people who have Google accounts or use Chromebooks. Do you use your real name and information or do you use an alias. Up till now I've been a Mac person, and I do use my real name and info, and never gave it a second thought. But somehow now that's it's Google, I'm kind of up in the air about if I want to give that info to Google.

So does everyone use their real name and info or an alias? What do you recommend?

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

When you send an email you will want it to appear to come from you, so use your real name.

But if you are the sort of person who already has multiple aliases then I suggest you set up a Google account for each of them so you don't get your identities confused.

7. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Thanks Richard. I'm not big on multiple aliases, and I don't email a lot, I assumed I would continue with my mac email by using iCloud or something. Hmmm maybe not?

I was more concerned about having problems later with not be able to use certain features or not being able to download apps or something along those lines. Is that a concern at all?

8. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

You won't have any problem using any sort of web based mail as you are simply using a browser.

Your Google account lets you download apps. Many are free. But if you want to buy apps then you need to supply a credit card, so they will know who you are anyway. Far simpler to use your real name. I'm sure Google knows all about you already anyway.

9. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Lol no doubt!