Cicada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Pronunciation: s&-'kA-d&, -'kä-; sI-'kA-
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -das also ci·ca·dae /-'kA-(")dE, -'kä-/
    Etymology: New Latin, genus name, from Latin, cicada
    : any of a family (Cicadidae) of homopterous insects which have a stout body, wide blunt head, and large transparent wings and the males of which produce a loud buzzing noise usually by stridulation
    The cast off 'skin'.
    Jarrell

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    This is very neat Jarrell. Wish you could make it to Huntsville this weekend so we could learn about stuff like this.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Well it has been a while since you posted must be playing with the trains a lot lately. What a great shot it is incredible, what a fantastic and well thought out setup thanks for sharing your setup

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jarrell,
    that is just to cool. Great work as usual.

Great diagram also.

Thank You

sure great to see ya :>)))

5. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Patrick, I regret I won't be able to be in Huntsville with everyone, I know you'll have a great time. I appreciate the thoughts though.
    Mike, this shot was setup IN the trainroom aka studio.. :) Nothing will every take the place of photography in my heart.
    Gale, I appreciate it! I decided to do the diagram instead of trying to verbally explain the setup. I really am glad you like it. Thank you,
    Jarrell

6. Jarrell, that is a really neat shot! I also appreciate you taking time to illustrate the set up, too. One question, what's the purpose of the paper with the hole? Is it because you're shooting into the flash and it acts like a pinhole camera would?

Wish you'd post more portrait work. I enjoyed your posts over at dpr! ;)

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Kevin, the piece of paper was used for a reflector to bounce the light from the softbox back into the shadow side of the Cicada, so that it wouldn't be a simple silhouette. It really could have been shot either way. The strobe in the background was set at its lowest power plus it had, besides the orange gel, a neutral density gel and a spot grid. The softbox supplied back rim lighting and the paper the fill light.
    I sometimes miss having the complete area for portrait work, but living in the country as I do with not many people around, the studio sat mostly unused and it broke my heart to see it that way. So, I'm using part of it for my model railroading hobby (THERE's another EXPENSIVE pastime!) and I've left room open for pictures such as this.
    Kevin, I appreciate it!
    Jarrell
    Jarrell

8. Excellent, as usual, Jarrel! 8). I really appreciate that you take the time your explain your setups. Your vision and execution are always remarkable: stay in touch, and give a hug to Hannah! :p

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Beautiful piece of work!

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jarrell,

In addition to presenting outstanding images, each of your posts is like a course at Photography U. 8)

Very imaginative set-up. If you hadn't given it away, I would have sworn that this guy was sitting on a tree limb in front of a harvest moon. ;-)

Thanks,

11. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    Cicadas are quite interesting animals. Thanks for sharing!

12. That is a very awesome shot.

I love the setup and thanks for posting the diagram. Very cool!

13. Wow. That's it - wow. :)

14. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    When I joined the Nikon Talk forum at DPReview, while not new to photography, I was a neophyte to many things computer/imaging related. So many people patiently helped me, and others like me, that I started to do the simple diagrams as a way to pay something back.
    I appreciate them still. :)
    Jarrell

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jarrell,

I think you should offer a session for us and teach us a few things.

At the Merritt II shoot we all mentioned having a shoot up there with you. :>))))))))))

Don't let that studio for photog go unused. Many would pay to have learning sessions with you .

16. Cool, Jarrell! I expect Hannah and the bug to be appearing together in an upcoming shoot!

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Very nice! No... wait... It's totally awsome! I'dve liked it better with a full cicada though - I think those are the coolest bugs.

18. K-loader

K-loader

May 31, 2005
    Maryland, USA
    Jarrell,

The photo is really cool…WAY cool in fact. I’d like to what you come up with combining your model railroading hobby with the photography…come on, let’s see something. It’s not like you have to go far, the stuff is in your studio already!

Dan

19. Jarrell:
    This is SO WELL DONE....
    Not that i'm a big fan of bugs... But i'm a huge fan of doing interesting set-ups to get a photo that was well thought in advance.
    Well done