Cinnamon Bittern

Found three of these in a nearby wetland. I saw one flew by a couple of weeks ago and had been looking for them since. The last one is maybe 1/3 bigger than the other two. Maybe they are a family!

These were all taken in late afternoon, so they looked more golden than they really are. All except the last one were taken with 400 f2.8 with the 1.4TC, handheld agaiinst the window frame inside my car. The last one was taken with 428 + 1.7TC, also inside my car. I think that is the easiest way to get close to birds. Maybe I need something that could secure my camera on the door frame now!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

Great find! Now tell them to stay there and wait for me.
I think there are one family. Looks lke they should be there for a while!

What a beautiful bird! A great find and some beautiful images.
Thanks Andy, this is the first time I saw them.

Color, Detail and poses Outstanding

The eye holds the key and draws attention
Thanks Gary, I am glad you like them! The evening sun was the key to the warm color!

A bean bag is great for just that sort of thing. That is what I use when I am shooting with my 300 2.8. Great bird and shots!!

Cheers
Nancy

A very special set of images. If I understand this species, not at all easy to capture images like this. Great work Tim.
Dave
Thanks Dave for your kind words! Yes, they are quite shy despite their relatively large size (maybe 18 inches tall). I can only approach them inside my car, rollind slowly until I get a shot from the window. I was driving my 4WD following them for 3-4 hours to get these set!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom