Cinnamon Bittern

Discussion in 'Birds' started by TimK, May 17, 2007.

1. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Found three of these in a nearby wetland. I saw one flew by a couple of weeks ago and had been looking for them since. The last one is maybe 1/3 bigger than the other two. Maybe they are a family!

These were all taken in late afternoon, so they looked more golden than they really are. All except the last one were taken with 400 f2.8 with the 1.4TC, handheld agaiinst the window frame inside my car. The last one was taken with 428 + 1.7TC, also inside my car. I think that is the easiest way to get close to birds. Maybe I need something that could secure my camera on the door frame now!

original.

original.

original.

original.

Thanks for looking!

2. Great find! Now tell them to stay there and wait for me.

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    What a beautiful bird! A great find and some beautiful images.

4. Color, Detail and poses Outstanding

The eye holds the key and draws attention

5. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I think there are one family. Looks lke they should be there for a while!

Thanks Andy, this is the first time I saw them.

Thanks Gary, I am glad you like them! The evening sun was the key to the warm color!

6. A very special set of images. If I understand this species, not at all easy to capture images like this. Great work Tim.
    Dave

7. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Wow new bird to me. Beautiful captures.:smile:

8. A bean bag is great for just that sort of thing. That is what I use when I am shooting with my 300 2.8. Great bird and shots!!

Cheers
    Nancy

9. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Thanks Dave for your kind words! Yes, they are quite shy despite their relatively large size (maybe 18 inches tall). I can only approach them inside my car, rollind slowly until I get a shot from the window. I was driving my 4WD following them for 3-4 hours to get these set!

10. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Thanks Jimmy, its new to me too! Always nice to have another one in the colletion!

Thanks for looking, Nancy. Oh yes, bean bag would be perfect.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful shots and great light
    There are so many different bitterns

12. A very colorful bird and fine detail Tim.
    Lou

13. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Thanks Gale, remember I said last time I thought I saw a Bittern flew by? Since then I've been looking for him!

Thanks Lou, the bird is actually a bit duller in color than the photos, but the evening sun has spiced it up somewhat!

14. Super shots, Tim, of a bird I've never even heard of before, he/her/they are just beautiful!

15. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Thaks Nick! I have never heard of it until about two months ago!