Cintre DATASync , those who bought one...

Hi Jarrell

I bought one and it was defective from factory. Got a refund.

Others have been very successful with them.

Like with all things computer....3 backups :>))
Feel free to PM me for any other questions you may have.

I like it Jarell.

I have used it on two different trips, one 3 day trip and another 6 day trip. I wrote a blurb about it here:

http://www.anands.net/faq/cintre.html

What annoys me the most is the lack of visual feedback (no numbers, no previews). Just beeps and LED blinks.

I took it on a 6 day trip to alaska without my laptop and transferred nearly 10 GB of data without having to recharge the batteries.

You need to trust the device though. But as everyone says, it is a hard disk based device, so redundancy is the best solution. Transfer data from it as soon as you can and if possible, carry a backup.

Thanks for the link..

obelix said:
I like it Jarell.

I have used it on two different trips, one 3 day trip and another 6 day trip. I wrote a blurb about it here:

http://www.anands.net/faq/cintre.html

What annoys me the most is the lack of visual feedback (no numbers, no previews). Just beeps and LED blinks.

I took it on a 6 day trip to alaska without my laptop and transferred nearly 10 GB of data without having to recharge the batteries.

You need to trust the device though. But as everyone says, it is a hard disk based device, so redundancy is the best solution. Transfer data from it as soon as you can and if possible, carry a backup.

Like you, I certainly wish it had better visual feedback (at a reasonable price).
Thank you for the information.
Jarrell

Westlake Village, Ca. and 20 mi NW of Prescott, Az
Jarrell said:
are you satisfied with it? Do you recommend it?
http://www.supergooddeal.com/product_p/hs30otg.htm
Jarrell

I'll tell you once I get Ken-L's. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have used my 30G version a couple of times and it has worked flawlessly. I'm going to get another one as a backup. NEVER trust one backup device!!!!

I was the originator of the original post regarding this device. No affiliation with the vendor.

JohnG

Looks like the downside is no built-in card reader. So you either have to connect it to your camera or carry a card-reader as well.

JeffKohn said:
Looks like the downside is no built-in card reader. So you either have to connect it to your camera or carry a card-reader as well.
Yes, I think thats correct. Probably most would use a small card reader?
Jarrell

K

Ken-L

The 80GB I had worked fine, fast, was a great as an external USB hard drive for my PC.

I charged the battery in June, hadn't used it, took it out the other day and it had not lost it's charge.

I just sold it because I'm not going to need it, and it was just sitting there...

I also have two other external hard drives for my PC, one standard size, and one Apricorn that is shirt pocket size.

Now I have a 1GB and a 2GB CF cards, so I'm not sure I will ever need another OTG type product, that a lot of RAW+JPG shots (about 474) - and usually when I travel I have my Laptop with me or access to another PC as needed.

Jarrell said:
Jarrell

Thats correct. I use a small $10 USB 2.0 CF reader. Works flawlessly.

The backup device comes in a nice leather pouch. The CF card reader slides into a wire mesh on one side. This compact pouch can easily fit both the backup device and card reader.

I wish I can take a photo and post it, but my D70 is under repair right now :(

Jarrell said:
Jarrell

Jarrell,

I bought the PD70X for uploading my CF cards in the field or on vacation. It has the advantage of confirming that the upload has happened successfully and listing the number and size of pictures uploaded. It also has rechargeable batteries and is very, very fast. (My previous device had a built in rechargeable battery that simply wore out, turning the whole thing into a not very effective door stop).

My niggles: The little flip door that covers the CF slot was very flimsy and required that I reattach it. (Thank goodness for superglue. It worked just fine). And, you need to be careful when inserting the CF card. It's a fairly shallow slot which makes it easy to insert it at the wrong angle. I ended up bending a few pins. (Thank goodness for my swiss army knife and needlenose pliers!).

I bought it from the only supplier, which is in Singapore or some other large island on the other end of the world. They delivered in 3 days; amazing.

http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17_66&products_id=443

By the way, I bought it with the 40 gig drive for about $210.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Latest threads

Top Bottom