circular fisheye on DX sensor?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ultimind, Jul 22, 2007.

1. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I read somewhere that you can get a circular fisheye image on a DX sensor. I've seen Bjorn's ridiculous relay lens on his D1 ... I read somewhere... i forget where... that it's possible to do WITHOUT using all of those crazy adapters and expensive lenses.

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It would take something like a 5.25 mm fisheye to make a circle on DX format. But adapters need not be so complex nor expensive as the one shown on Bjørn's page. I found this one, used in a local camera shop, and put it on my 35mm f/2:
    [imgn]http://homepage.mac.com/cheilman1/images/cameras/dionar/dionarinhand.jpg[/imgn]

Here's one you can buy:
    http://www.adorama.com/IRXDCRCF185P.html?searchinfo=circular fisheye&item_no=3

Here's an image made using my Dionar:
    [​IMG]

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Interesting adapter, Chris... I'll have to look into that further. I've only ever seen the Raynox and like adapters. Never one that has an aperture ring on it.

4. I can think of a few ways to do it:

- Sigma 8/f3.5 or Nikon 8/f2.8 AIS on a Kodak SLR/n. :confused:

- :eek: Sigma 8/f3.5 on a Canon 5D or 1Ds Mk II. :Shocked:

- shoot 35mm with the Sigma or Nikkor and scan it. :Unsure:

I'm holding off another couple of weeks, just in case Nikon do offer a 36x24 D3-something. But I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sigma and use approach #3 above. I know the slightly older 8/f4 had an aperture ring, and I expect that the current 8/f3.5 does too. But even if it doesn't have one (meaning that I can't use it on my F2, FM2n or FA), I'll just buy an N80 for the purpose - they're now around $100.

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I found where I read that it's possible to do this: The iNova D200 eBook supposedly mentions a method of doing full frame circular fisheye images. I have a feeling their method is a streamlined version of Bjorn's method of using a relay lens with spacers.