Circular Polarizer

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Yvette, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    I am not really sure where to post this as I really need advise. Last week we went to the beach and I took a series of pictures of my boys feeding the seagulls. All the pictures turned out with a dark patch in the one top corner. Was this because of the circular polarizer that I had on? If so, what can I do in the future to avoid this happening? Any advise would be welcomed.
    Thanks.

Feedingbirds.

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Yes, this is a common happening with a CP and especially so if you are using a wide angle lens setting. You can train your eye to see this in the viewfinder with a little practice. One semi cure is to back off of full strength with the CP. You will see the effect while looking through the viewfinder. Hope this helps.

3. the degree of polarization is a function of the angle of the sun... also.. quite a pink cast... boys look like they are having fun.. wish i was that age again.

4. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    That does help, thanks Andy. I had never had this problem before but I guess with the angle of the sun and I was taking the shots quickly to get the shot of the bird just before they caught the bread, so I didn't really catch it in the viewfinder. I had set the CP so that the picture would be lighter but I guess there were too many factors against me. I will just have to keep practicing with it.

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Bob. When I bought the filter I did not think that there would be an art to using it. Yes the boys did have fun. But the seagulls were quite persistent and even after the had finished with the bread they kept trying to steal our chips - much to the amusement of the kids. And I too wish I was that age again.

6. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Here are three seagulls desperately trying to steal some food from me. One of them eventually got up the courage to swoop down and grab a bite while I was taking the pictures.

Seagulls5.

7. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

You should also wither preset the WB or use Auto WB...toerhwise the CPL will colorcast your shots if you have the WB set to Sunny or some other programmed WB.

8. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    I think I did have the white balance set to sunny. Thanks Joshua. I will remember that in the future.