Circus Doors and Windows

I spent a couple of hours in Baraboo, Wisconsin this past weekend. Baraboo was home to the Ringling Brothers beginning in 1884. Although the circus in no longer operating, several of the circus buildings still stand in Baraboo as part of the Circus World Museum. The museum was closed during my visit, but I was able to capture a few colorful images of doors and windows of these historic buildings.

2021-06-18 Baraboo-15-Edit copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2021-06-18 Baraboo-26-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-18 Baraboo-60-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-18 Baraboo-2-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-18 Baraboo-48-Edit copy 2.jpg

2021-06-18 Baraboo-20-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-18 Baraboo-9-Edit copy.jpg

For the next two, I returned to the site an hour or two later. By then, the light wasn't as harsh. I prefer the photos above, but found it interesting how much the lighting impacted the mood of these images:

2021-06-18 Baraboo-44-Edit copy.jpg

2021-06-18 Baraboo-57-Edit copy.jpg

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
LOL! Your fine tuned eye finds superb photographs where others see closed buildings and walk away!

This is a wonderful collection, Glenn. #1, 2 and 5 are my favs!

Beautifully seen and captured. Really simple powerful compositions.
Most people would just walk on by
gary
Thanks Gary...I think the fun of photography is taking the time to see and appreciate even the ordinary things.
The colors are so vibrant and beautiful. They scream happiness, fun, and circuses!!
Thanks Terri...I could see the bright red color from a great distance while driving around Baraboo.
Wonderful, they scream fun.
Thank you, Bill
Indeed!

You seem to be bonding well with the mirrorless kit.
I am very much enjoying the Z camera and S lenses. The kit was a bit smaller and lighter than my previous kit. The transition was easy and mirrorless offers several advantages that just makes shooting easier.
great color. my favorites are 1, 2, 7, 8 and 9.
Thanks Rick

Glenn

I think the fun of photography is taking the time to see and appreciate even the ordinary things.
I find it also teaches us to look, even when we don't have a camera. That skill seems to be lost for many, who are used to being spoon fed what they should look at on their devices.
They then flock to the "correct place to be" to get their selfie, walking by wonderful things but not seeing to get to their destination.
It is a great time to be a photographer.
gary

Great shots Glenn.

A lot of history in those building. Glad you had time to check out the Badger State. For many years each summer the Circus World Museum would load all the circus wagons, animals, performers, etc. onto a train and then roll from Baraboo to Milwaukee for the annual circus parade. It was quite a sight to see the long train rolling through all the small towns on the way to Milwaukee. People would line the streets to see the train go by. I believe the circus train ended in 2003.

Great shots Glenn.

A lot of history in those building. Glad you had time to check out the Badger State. For many years each summer the Circus World Museum would load all the circus wagons, animals, performers, etc. onto a train and then roll from Baraboo to Milwaukee for the annual circus parade. It was quite a sight to see the long train rolling through all the small towns on the way to Milwaukee. People would line the streets to see the train go by. I believe the circus train ended in 2003.
Thanks...I was actually in Mauston for most of my stay. I coach a 14U travel baseball team and we ended up playing six games there over this past weekend. I had some downtime and drove to Madison for some photography. Baraboo was closer...so I stopped by there late one afternoon. It's always fun to have a camera in the car for opportunities such as these.

Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks...I was actually in Mauston for most of my stay. I coach a 14U travel baseball teams and we ended up playing six games there over this past weekend. I had some downtime and drove to Madison for some photography. Baraboo was closer...so I stopped by there late one afternoon. It's always fun to have a camera in the car for opportunities such as these.

Glenn
Very cool. We own a lake lot just north of Mauston on Castle Rock Lake so we get up that way quite a bit. I've always enjoyed your baseball photos as well.

I spent a couple of hours in Baraboo, Wisconsin this past weekend. Baraboo was home to the Ringling Brothers beginning in 1884. Although the circus in no longer operating, several of the circus buildings still stand in Baraboo as part of the Circus World Museum. The museum was closed during my visit, but I was able to capture a few colorful images of doors and windows of these historic buildings.

View attachment 1685436

View attachment 1685437

View attachment 1685438

View attachment 1685439

View attachment 1685440

View attachment 1685441

View attachment 1685442

For the next two, I returned to the site an hour or two later. By then, the light wasn't as harsh. I prefer the photos above, but found it interesting how much the lighting impacted the mood of these images:

View attachment 1685443

View attachment 1685444

Thanks again for looking...
Glenn
My grandfather worked for them in Florida long time ago in the early 1900's. He told my mother he hated the circus. He said he got tired of putting the tents up and tearing them down in different cities.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom