1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I posted a while back in the "Other Hobbies" forum about geocaching. Our state geocaching organization, AlaCache, had a "Cache In, Trash Out (CITO)" event at Ditto Landing here in Huntsville on the banks of the Tennesee River. The landing is a public/private boat dock, camping, fishing, and hiking area. My son Cameron and I biked down to the event, which was about 2 miles from our house. The event organizer talked to the parks department and got free cotton gloves for everyone, free trash bags, and borrowed pick-up sticks for everyone to use.

Here are the details on the event: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=220348

Cameron and I picked up five bags of trash along the banks of the river, the campground, the trails, and the inlet. We had about 30+ people there and collected dozens of bags of trash, old tires, and larger items. I took several pictures of the participants, but this one was my favorite. Cameron and I had walked a few dozen yards into the woods along the bank of an inlet where a lot of people fish from the shore. It was also heavily littered, both from inconsiderate fishers and from flood deposited junk. I think the expression on his face captured our feeling about people who dump so much trash in such a nice area...

[​IMG]

The whole place looked a lot better when we got through with it...
    [​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - a nice hike, beautiful surroundings AND y'all did such a good thing for the environment and people who like to look at it! Thank you!!!!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is truly wonderful. We have many groups going around the beaches and parks doining this.

The look on his face is how we all feel.

Why the Hell do people do this.

We don't have all the nature left we used to have.

Thank you both, and all the folks for the good work.

Who got the cache :>))

The slobs.....

4. What a nice thing to teach your son. Now if more people did that we wouldn't have a trash dump in our natural surroundings. Thanks to you and your son for setting an example.