City Candids

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I live in the burbs, so an overnight in nearby San Francisco is an visual treat... a smorgasboard of fascinating photographic opportunities. Capturing them is another story, since some urban inhabitants react negatively when you point a camera at them. So the unobstrusive 180/2.8 becomes my tool of choice for candids.

Keeping your distance is particularly good when your subject has sharp teeth and an unpredictable disposition...

... and I doubt I could have gotten such a relaxed post from this charming model if I had been using a shorter lens.

View attachment 109822

The reach came in handy for grabbing this shot of a bridal party exiting the St. Francis hotel...

View attachment 109823

But sometimes a prime user will find themselves having to make-do with a long lens from close range, as in this shot of my friends...

View attachment 109824

... or a quick snapshot of the gregarious street person who saw my camera and decided to model for me.

View attachment 109825

Yes, a discrete telephoto lens is a delight for candids, but that's not to say it's a complete solution for a trip to the City. A wide angle lens can capture a much different kind of energy... but I'll save that story for another thread.

View attachment 109826

2. Very nice Uncle Frank. The Street person is no lovely.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  3. Fun shots in THE city. My favorite of the series is #5 due to the nice lighting and facial expression.

4. Thanks, Sam and Gordon!

Gordon, the light was failing at 7PM in the canyons between the big buildings in the city, so that shot was a bit of a miracle I was shooting in manual mode, at f/3.2 and 1/250. Fortunately I was also in auto-iso with a cap of 800, and without any help from me, the camera decided that iso400 would result in a good exposure ;-). To make it even dicier, the shot was taken at very close to the 180/2.8's minimum focusing distance. Technology, good glass, and a lotta luck all combined to deliver that snapshot!

Hey, it's kind of strange shooting without a flash :-0.

5. Nice series... #5 is great!

6. Nice shots Uncle Frank!! #5 is the best of the bunch for me. His expression really make that an excellent image. Great capture!!

7. ditto
    5 and 2 or 2 and 5
    either or both would be a nice addition to a wall.

8. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Nice - If I had been trying to take number 1 with a shorter lens I would be giving my VR a work out!

9. Ppub101

Ppub101

Oct 10, 2005
    Asheville NC
    5 is by far my favorite of the group. What a fantastic shot!
    Paul

10. Notice I said he was a "street person", not a homeless person. Big difference.

11. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    Wow, #6 is wonderful!!!!

12. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Wonderful place for people watching! I remember Haloween on Castro Street a few years back ... Not a night for the faint of heart. <g>

13. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Frank,
    I'm confused. Regarding your first two subjects, which had the sharp teeth and which had the unpredictable disposition?:biggrin:
    David

14. Hehehe. I'd imagine both, David.

15. Uncle Frank,

Great shots!! I get fantastic Union Square shots as well using the 180 f/2.8. It allows you get perfect portraits from far away. Subjects are simply more natural:

961250085_2e3f73c4df.

Craig

16. Nice work my friend. I'm insanely jealous, you know! Such stunning pics. Thanks for sharing.