Civil War Photography..

C

Casket28

Took a trip to Gettysburg and met up with a guy who really impressed me. His name is R.J. Gibson, a wet plate photographer there in town. This guy uses period cameras, techniques, even recipies to photograph people, in a very real, very authentic manner. Down to the seats, headrests, clothing, is all period stuff. This stuff is very VERY old, dating between 1859-1867. I was absolutly amazed at how down to earth this guy was, how he had the time, yet was very busy, to answer any and all questions I had.

I learned alot, and will be heading back up probably tommorrow, to actually get one done.
Enjoy the pics, CC if you would like.

Jesse

2m2gzsj.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

11v1ef9.jpg

awtgd5.jpg

2due63t.jpg

2zfityh.jpg

2q0v8tt.jpg

nnutkk.jpg

2i9i13n.jpg

4tu8t4.jpg

243n5v5.jpg

This last pic is of us, processed via wetplate. Very interesting way of photography :)

Great series and info. This fellow has certainly found an interesting way to practice photography.

very cool thread, and very interesting. I have been around re-enactors for 30 years, and my daughter was married in a civil war era ceremony, by the regimental Chaplin.

The re-enactors insist on everything being very very authentic, did he mention if he did much with work with the re-enactors?

A camera like that must be very valuable.

C

Casket28

The camera that he used, was actually a camera used in the war of gettysburg.

Everything that he does, is all period stuff. All the images from the movie "Gods and Generals" was shot by this guy.

The camera I was leaning on, was also a period camera, however I personally do not know the history of it.

Just watching this guy work was a thing of beauty, as he knew exactly what he was doing, to the T. The most impressive thing was how he knew the light so well, that he nailed the exposure every single time.

Im still in awe of what he does up there..

Id say probably 60% of his images are from re-enactors up there. Hes the only one doing the real mccoy photography, and when you gotta have the real deal, this is the guy you goto.

Keep one thing in mind, this is NOT the "old time photo's" that you see on the beach, this is the REAL process.

Great shots. Believe it or not, I was once the proud owner of an old 8x10 studio camera just like the one pictured here. I use to work for portrait studio in the 70s and use this camera to take pass-port photos in B&W using a split 5x7 back that fit on the back of the camera. It was monster of a camera and had one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen. When the owner retired and moved, she gave to me as gift. Big mistake selling it. Wish I still had it. Extremely valuable as a collectors item.

Latest threads

Top Bottom