1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Civilian F/A-18?!

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by DynaSport, Jan 15, 2019.

1. It appears I captured some photos of a civilian F/A-18 Hornet. I didn't know such a thing existed. From a little research, it looks like this plane may have been a part of VFA-204 based on the writing on the plane. VFA-204 is a U.S. Navy Reserve strike fighter squadron based out of Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base New Orleans. If anyone knows anything else about this plane please share it.
    F500DDD2-263F-4555-A84E-69CF5FB88CD1.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    BFC9D8F0-60DA-407E-949D-F62A8A2F9B6E.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Might be a Boeing factory bird.....

3. Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yep. Not Civilian. Looks like the unit transitioned to the Super-Hornet and thus this former CAG aircraft was painted over.

5. Well, if they transitioned to a newer aircraft, wouldn’t the old planes be retired? Why would they still be flying this one? And if it still part of the guard unit, why paint over the old markings? I looked at photos of planes currently assigned to the unit and their paint jobs didn’t look like this.

6. Also, this plane was landing at Tampa International Airport, not the nearby Macdill Air Force Base.

7. The thing that makes me think you guys are right that it is not civilian is the tail number. It doesn’t have the usual N number a civilian plane normally has. I did find a reference on the Internet to an F/A-18 being sold on the civilian market, but that plane was a former Blue Angel plane and no one seemed to know how it made it to civilian ownership.

8. You're correct regarding the tail #. I did see several examples of this type of livery when browsing the VFA-204 videos on Youtube.

9. Yes, I saw the similar livery, but not that had the markings removed. At least I didn’t see them. Any idea why the markings would be removed for a plane still assigned to VFA-204 or what happens to decommissioned planes? I assume a few may be sent to be displays at museums or other locations and others disassembled.

10. Is it not just the low-visibility paint scheme?

11. I don’t know.

12. After a little research I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I have been out of the Air Force 25 years and have not kept up with things. I don’t remember the Air Force planes looking like this. Thank you very much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thank you

14. spoonbill

spoonbill

Jan 25, 2013
    Indiana
    Dan........I could write a book right here but I'll keep it as short as possible. An easy explanation would be in the "low-visibility paint scheme" of things. Just last fall there were three of these that flew into Purdue airport to fly over at the start of the football game with Ohio. All three pilots were Purdue grads and we were able to go out to the airport and see/visit with the pilots and crew. They all three had just gotten back from Afghanistan missions and were stationed out at a CA base before they go back out to the USS Eisenhower (if I remember right). Can't believe the events they told us about. What brave men we have !!!!!
    DSC_4991-X2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. weerterbos

weerterbos

Feb 11, 2016
  16. Great detail, and you had good light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.