Clarksville, L&D 24 12/19/10

Quick update on Eagles at this location. Went up despite the snow and low clouds. Had the "right" wind to allow us some chances for fishing shots. Upon arriving there were 3 other photographers there, 2 of which were from Indiana. I spoke with them about the fishing action of the Eagles and they mentioned it was good until a boat of fisherman ran circle after circle in the open water there and scared off the Eagles.

I set up and hoped they would return to fishing...they did not. They were satisfied with perching on the island and I only had one fly by chance. Very dark, low clouds, but love shooting in weather like this as it challenges me to nail the exposure. In fact, I actually lowered the exposure 1/3rd in post as it was a bit "bleached" out, but not blown.

Tim O. made the trip up with me too...but we soon left after all we were seeing were the huge numbers of gulls feeding. Still a fun day, just did not get many images.

D300s, 600VR, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/500th Manual exposure
6337_v2_L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I should also make note...the river has come up several feet. Not sure why they are doing that, but its a waste of time to try to figure out the Corps reasoning at times. When this happens...Eagle activity usually slows down for a bit.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
You did really well with this image, Jason!

I'm going to be watching the weather; I have this week off, so I'm hoping we don't get snow or that nasty wintry mix stuff. If the weather holds, I'll be headed up there...!

Lyndee,

I don't have anything on the books this week either...but that could change with a phone call. With that said, I too am watching the weather and will be going everytime its possible. Tuesday is my only day where I can't go as I will be at the hospital with my folks. My mother is having her hip replaced.

Shoot me a PM with some notice on when your going and if I can, I will meet up with you there sometime.

Thanks for the comment about the image.

a few shots from Tuesday

I had four vacation days that I had to use or lose so I took them with the holidays and got 11 days and made a trip, I knew it was early but it was my best chance, there were dozens of eagles, they just stayed out in the middle, using a 500 and a 1.4 and these are heavily cropped. I still have Wed and Thur morning though they are forecasting 40% chance of rain. thanks for all of your post and the advice you guys have given !

GLL6782.jpg

GLL6837.jpg

GLL6856.jpg

Nice shots Gary! Glad you made it up and got some action. It seems this year, that the close fishing action happens in the morning. That is not the best time for good light at this location unless you have a good south, southwest wind, but you take what you get.

Hope the weather holds out for you. If I get done with work early tomorrow, I will see if I can make the quick drive up there and join you in the afternoon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom