1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Class A - Rome Braves vs. Augusta Green Jackets

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dave, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    The Rome Braves are obviously an affiliate of the Atlanta Braves, and the Augusta Green Jackets are the affiliate of the San Francisco Giants. Here are some shots from their game back on 7/26/08, shot with D300 and 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D.

1) The Green Jackets Starter, slinging some sweat with his fastball
    [​IMG]

2) Ball on Bat action
    [​IMG]

3) Rounding 2nd, heading for 3rd...
    [​IMG]

4) Another Ball on Bat...
    [​IMG]

5) Dejected after the strikeout
    [​IMG]

6) A powerful swing
    [​IMG]

7) Showing the catcher some love
    [​IMG]

8) Calling for (and receiving) time at the plate
    [​IMG]

9) The visiting thief trying to take 2nd...
    [​IMG]

10) Ahh, freebies!
    [​IMG]

11) Did I forget to mention it was super hero night at the park?
    [​IMG]

12) Bonus shot of the sunset that night past the 3rd base line.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. Great stuff Dave!
    Those Greenjackets are a pretty good team.
    1st two shots are terrific. Still had some golden light.
    I always hope for some early action before it gets dark.
    Fred

3. Nice captures.
    You were probably loosing light, but if that was not the case, try to bump that SS up higher to freeze the movement around the ball area.

4. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Fred. Yeah the Green Jackets are pretty good, but the Braves ended up coming back and winning 8-4 in the end. We were only able to get seats for this Saturday night game facing into the sun, so I didn't get quite the golden sunset light shots I wanted, but it worked out ok.

Yes I was losing light fast, as the game started around 7:35 PM. I was keeping the SS as high as possible without taking the ISO into the stratosphere...this is the reason why I like afternoon games better.

It also didn't help that I was shooting into the sun instead of having it behind me...

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
  6. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
  7. Very nice series Dave this level of ball is fun to be at.....a spitter in the first shot.... I sure hope the world isnt dependign on that group of super heroes to save it!

8. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Mike. Yes that does look like a spitter (although it could have easily been sweat as hot as it was out there). I do like to watch minor league baseball almost better than pro's...I can't wait until the Braves AAA affiliate starts playing next year about 10 mins from my house!

And I don't think anyone would be expecting much from those group of super heroes.

9. Great choice of shutter speed here.

Fast enough to freeze the drops in the air, yet slow enough to show speed & movement of his hand.

Pure energy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.