Cleaning a 17 55mm f/2.8 Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Takeda, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Does anybody have any suggestions for cleaning the rubber focus and zoom rings on a 17 55mm f/2.8 lens? I was concerned about moisture entering the lens.

Thanks!

2. What are you trying to clean from the rings? Will a moist cloth (water) and some judicious rubbing not do the trick? I cleaned the normal dirt and sweat accumulation from the rings of some older zooms with some water with a small amount of dish detergent on a soft cloth and it did the job. I them took a cloth moistened with water only to remove any soap residue.

Phil

3. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Thanks Phil!! I think it's oil and dirt from use over time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Yeah, that looks exactly like what I cleaned from those older lenses -- mostly salt residue from dried sweat. I think the moist rag I mentioned will get most of it. If necessary, there are rubber cleaners/conditioners available I wouldn't hesitate to use on my 17-55 is necessary. I would use the very smallest amount on a cotton swab and rub in the direction of the grooves. Shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes to get it all and no harm will come to the lens if you are careful. Whatever you use -- water or cleaner -- just be sure the cloth or swab is just barely moist.

Phil

5. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Thanks so much Phil!!!