Cleaning CCd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I think it has been about a year since I last cleaned the ccd in my D100. So long, in fact, that I have forgotten how to place the camera in 'bulb' mode and the instruction book is not much help. I have the Nikon AC adaptor. The last time I did it I used the pec pads and eclipse fluid. I remember how to place the pad on the plastic spatula looking tool, to only apply a drop or two of the fluid, to wipe in one direction and then the opposite without raising the pad from the sensor, but for the life of me I can't remember how to set the camera so that the mirror stays out of my way for the needed amount of time.
    Two questions then:
    1- How do I get the mirror up and keep it up?
    2- What method do you use to clean your ccd, assuming you do it yourself?
    Jarrell

2. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Jarrell

I have a D70, but I think the D100 works in a similar manner.

To switch to bulb mode, go to "M" mode and turn the shutter speed dial past 30 secs, it goes into bulb mode.

Now press and hold the shutter release and it keeps the shutter open.

The D70 has Mirror Lock Up for cleaning, so I tend to use that.

anand

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Thanks for the help! I'll bet money the D100 has a mirror lock up button also, just gotta find it. Or...... maybe it doesn't. :smile:
    Anyway, thanks for the info!
    Jarrell

4. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Jarrell

Yes, I remember now :). The MLU in D100 can be activated only if you have the external power adapter. My friend does not have the external power adapter, so we had to use the bulb mode hack.

See this:

http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/ccd-cleaning.html