Cleaning D200

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by bmiller, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I have a lot of specks of dust etc. that is visible through the viewfinder. I took a few photos of a white background and there is no visible specks or spots anywhere in the pictures. This started out with a couple of specks on the ridged piece behind the viewfinder. I tried blowing ,using a brush,a piece of microfiber and it is worse than i started out. I went to the camera store and got a rocket blaster, and it still doesn't work. I think these specks are firmly entrenched on the piece behind the viefinder inside the body.It's a fine checkered type of glass.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to clean this. It appears to be just on the viewfinder bit and doesn't affect pictures, it's just annoying. The fact that it's worse than i started makes it twice as bad.
    Lens cleaning fluid on a clean cloth maybe. Or do i send it in to Nikon.

2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I had the same issue as well...and it was annoying to me also. I had my sensor recently cleaned and mentioned the specs of dust in the viewfinder, and it was slightly better after the cleaning, but not totally. The best thing to do is to live with, as long it's not on the sensor you'll be fine.

I'm hoping the next Nikon generation of digital camers have a self cleaning capabilities (at least on the sensor).

3. I'm going to wait until i'm back from holidays and send it in to Nikon to have a new focus screen installed,and the dust cleaned out. It doesn't affect pictures, it's just annoying.