Cleaning D200

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bmiller, Jul 31, 2007.

1. I posted this in General technical discussion, but it probably belongs here.
    I have a lot of specks of dust etc. that is visible through the viewfinder. I took a few photos of a white background and there is no visible specks or spots anywhere in the pictures. This started out with a couple of specks on the ridged piece behind the viewfinder. I tried blowing ,using a brush,a piece of microfiber and it is worse than i started out. I went to the camera store and got a rocket blaster, and it still doesn't work. I think these specks are firmly entrenched on the piece behind the viefinder inside the body.It's a fine checkered type of glass.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to clean this. It appears to be just on the viewfinder bit and doesn't affect pictures, it's just annoying. The fact that it's worse than i started makes it twice as bad.
    Lens cleaning fluid on a clean cloth maybe. Or do i send it in to Nikon.

2. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi BMiller,

That's a bummer that you have a dirty viewfinder. But it is great that is not on your sensor. I use Green Clean (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505204-REG/Green_Clean_GCSC4000_Sensor_Cleaning_Kit.html). Primarily it is used for sensor cleaning, but I have used it on my lenses and viewfinder when the dust is more "sticky." Lens cleaning fluid is also a great idea, use a Q-Tip and then dry it with your blower. One thought might be to take it to your local camera shop, sometimes they will clean it for you (free?). If you do send it in to Nikon, check to see if your warranty will cover it. Though not having a camera for a while could be another issue :eek: Hope this helps!

Little Cub

3. yoza717

yoza717

Dec 23, 2006
    Palm Bay, FL
    Is it your viewfinder or focus screen that is dirty. I sometimes get a little lint on my focus screen (which doesn't affect the picture) and have been lucky enough to be able to clean it with my Sensor brush made by VisibleDust. They have a new wetswab for the tougher specks, here is the site: http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=410
    It is angled at 45 degrees so you can use it easily on the focus screen.

Good luck and be careful,

4. Is the focus screen the screen right behind the viewfinder and opposite the mirror when you remove the lens? It's hazy looking and bumpy. I'm not sure if the dust is stuck on there or where it is,but i can't get rid of it with any dry method.

5. yoza717

yoza717

Dec 23, 2006
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yes, if you are holding the camera upright and the front is facing you (assuming you have the lens removed), the focus screen is facing towards the bottom of the camera. You can see its reflection on the mirror and it does have ridges.