Cleaning lenses

I just shined a flashlight on one of my "new" lenses tonight...and wow, it was dirty! A lot of dust and random particles on it...

I tried using my Nikon lens pen to clean it, but there were still specks that look like it was dirty, but not scratches or marks in the lens. So, I was wondering, how do you guys keep your lenses clean without scratching it? I would love to get it absolutely perfect if I can.

Thanks in advance!

Don't look into your lenses that way, it will only lead to disappointment. My brand new 70-300VR has visible spots when viewed with a flashlight as does my used 80-200 2.8D. It's really no big deal as these small particles have no impact on your images.

Don't look into your lenses that way, it will only lead to disappointment. My brand new 70-300VR has visible spots when viewed with a flashlight as does my used 80-200 2.8D. It's really no big deal as these small particles have no impact on your images.
That's true, I admit a lot of my question is coming from my anal-retentiveness at wanting my toys clean and flawless :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean only what a lens pen will remove. Works well enough for me. :) (I understand wanting them spotless though, I did an assembly line cleaning of all my gear just last week! :biggrin:)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom