Cleaning Mirror

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dagored, Aug 1, 2005.

1. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    I had a few spots on some of my picts from vacation. Cleaned the sensor, first time. Was not that bad. Shot the sky and spots are gone, however. If I remove the lens and look through, I see a spot. It is on the mirror. Can I clean the mirror, or just live with it? Can I use a swab and Eclipse?

2. I stand corrected and delete my opinion so as to avoid having anyone damage their camera. I've cleaned mine with pads and eclipse very gently with no adverse effects but you should follow your manufacturer's instructions.

3. Nikon does not recommend touching you're mirror with anything. It is much more sensitive then the sensor. I've used compressed air or the same blub blower that you use to clean your sensor. I clean mine every time that I clean the sensor.

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Let the mirror be on its own. The surface is silver-coated on the front and is very susceptible to scratches. Avoid touching it and only use a blower gently.

A few dust specks on the mirror won't influence your images. The mirror does not particate in image forming onto the imager :D

5. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    On a recent search of this forum I was looking for information on how to clean my sensor. This was the only thread that came close to my query. However on the web there are several sites to help that are educational and instructive.

FWIW here is a site I found very helpful:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There are ways to clean a first surface mirror, but methanol (Eclipse) is not recommended, as it is actually corrosive to metals.

Scott (SRA): Thanks for the (almost) comprehensive list. I wonder though about references that perpetuates the misconception that an active CCD attracts dust with static electricity. It just ain't true.

Here is a reference on cleaning delicate first surface mirrors, in particular laser mirrors. As usual, these techniques require practice and care should be taken to be sure you know what you are doing before starting:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laseratr.htm#atrcln3

Good luck - and you can always send it to a certified repair shop for cleaning if the seck really bothers you.

7. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks Chris. Good site.

8. Chris, inside that article, he mentions cleaning with methanol??? (Wet and Wipe Method, step2). Teach me, Obiwan Kenobi, teach me! Also, if Eclipse is corrosive to metals, what about the parts holding the CCD inside the camera??? wouldn't it damage these?

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, I find this thread a bit scary as I've cleaned my mirror with eclips/pec-pads a couple times. Surely there's a safe way to clean it aside from bulb blowers? (which in my case wasn't working, that's why I used the eclipse).