Cleaning of dusty slides

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harry S., May 19, 2005.

1. In the near future I intend to scan a lot of my older slides, partly also because in these bygone days I seemed to have a much better eye :?

In addition, I want to digitalize many of the expedition pics from my colleague at work and also mine (since we travelled a lot together).

Is there any non-destructive way of thoroughly cleaning slides which have collected quite a bit of dust through the years (partly due to unproper storage)?
    I don't want to remove all dust specks in PS since there will 100's of pics.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    If you get a Coolscan 5000 then you can use digital ICE to get rid of most of the dust specks. Though you might want to blow off what you can.

3. Unfortunately, I have a Dimage Scan Dual IV from Minolta. The first and last time that tried to help my institute save money. It took three replacements until the unit worked - the question is for how long. Somehow I hope that this unit, too fails very soon, because I have the permission to throw it out of the window then :twisted: and replace it by a Coolscan.

Thus, if anybody tries to talk me into buying another Konica/Minolta product he has to run for his life :x , or as Joseph Wisniewski put it:
    "friends don't let friends buy Minolta".

4. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Harry,
    I have a Coolscan 4000 with both adapters (roll film and 50 slide loader), scanned more than 500 rolls of old film into my system. ICE is working really well - highly recommended. Reliability is ok with slide loader, excellent with the roll film adapter).
    There is currently one on eBay for 420 Euro and 2 days to go:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;item=5197904046&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Kind regards,
    Andy

5. Andy, danke für den link!
    But I think I have to somehow destroy the Minolta thingy first, because I will not buy the scanner privately. I would rather invest my money in another top lens for my collection.

Cheers