Cleaning out the closet (ie, Lightroom archive)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sauk, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    So the past 2 days I have been going through my archive in lightroom and deleting images that I didn't need or were just bad.

Well i started with just over 41,000 images and today as I write this that number is now down to 25,000 or so images! lol

I didn't even go one by one either, if I did that I could probably clean out another 2 or 3 thousand that are soft or out of focus.

But to be honest that's to much work! I feel pretty good today now that I cleaned out all of that junk.

I said to myself a year or so ago I needed to do that, but of course I didn't and it began to get larger and larger...

Any of you do that recently?

2. Well

Well I should get to it as I have 3 terabites of pictures to sift through but... I'll just by another external hard drive and save myself the trouble :eek: 

Nope... I need to clean my archives and "repostprocess" the keepers and then print the best of the keepers :biggrin:

3. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Me too. When I dig for something random, I inevitably browse old pics and delete a few. I manage to clean out 2-5% a year this way. So if I were to stop shooting entirely and live to be 100, I might have a pretty good edit. :rolleyes: 

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I do it as I download. Get rid of it and be done with it so you don't have to come back to it.

Yesterday I had a small shoot...very small shoot. Neighbor wanted images of her daughter (4 years old)...she was restless we took 10 images and that was it. When I downloaded 3 of them were bad...the rest were keepers. So I deleted those 3, made a file with the other 7 and waaala I'm done. I'll keep that file for 6 months and if she doesn't want anymore after 6 months...I delete the whole file.

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I never want to go through that painful process so I'm more and more critical with the photos I keep or not !

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    That's a good habit to have to be honest. I was going through last years boys high school basketball images. I deleted a thousand or so just because I really don't need them anymore. Any images I kept for a portfolio I left, but other then that I am not selling them anymore so why keep them.

7. fotographiq

fotographiq Guest

Organizing photos can be a royal pain in the butt. If I were doing this professionally, I would stay much more on top of it than I do now.

8. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    As soon as I return from my shoot, first thing I do is burn all images to a DVD. I then go through each one and import only the good pics into LR. I then copy images off my DVD to my external drive. Hey, call me paranoid, but I have seen way too many system crashes, and hard disk recovery is not cheap!

9. That's how I am now... well kinda sorta - I am working on it - I do take a lot less pictures than I used to...

That's what I should do however I glad I kept some images I thought I could save once I got the proper software to post process and you know what ... I now have those software tools - it is going to be a very long and lonely winter but in the end I'll have less than 500 gigs of pictures remaining out of 3 terabytes and that will be a good start.

But yea... last year's clients pic will be gone by January.

10. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Likewise... The problem I have however, is sitting in front of the computer TOOOOO long determining which pics are only worthy of the recycle bin. Other times if I'm torn, I find that looking at them the next day is very helpful.

On another note... DAMN I feel new only having about 4200 pictures, of which only about 2500 taken with my D80 compared to the people in the 5, possible 6 digits... :tongue:

11. I really need to do this too ... but can never seem to find the time. It's much easier to keep buying more hard drives :biggrin:

12. I do this after I import them to LR2

As I go through each pic on the first pass, I set Flagged and Reject (some are left Unflagged)

I then select - Delete all Rejects

So I do end up with a number of unflagged photos, that i never use - however all the bad pics are GONE

Then my backup runs - so at least I am not wasting room on my external drive for bad pics

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.