Cleaning out the closet (ie, Lightroom archive)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sauk, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    So the past 2 days I have been going through my archive in lightroom and deleting images that I didn't need or were just bad.

Well i started with just over 41,000 images and today as I write this that number is now down to 25,000 or so images! lol

I didn't even go one by one either, if I did that I could probably clean out another 2 or 3 thousand that are soft or out of focus.

But to be honest that's to much work! I feel pretty good today now that I cleaned out all of that junk.

I said to myself a year or so ago I needed to do that, but of course I didn't and it began to get larger and larger...

Any of you do that recently?

2. Well

Well I should get to it as I have 3 terabites of pictures to sift through but... I'll just by another external hard drive and save myself the trouble :eek:

Nope... I need to clean my archives and "repostprocess" the keepers and then print the best of the keepers :biggrin:

3. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Me too. When I dig for something random, I inevitably browse old pics and delete a few. I manage to clean out 2-5% a year this way. So if I were to stop shooting entirely and live to be 100, I might have a pretty good edit. :rolleyes:

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I do it as I download. Get rid of it and be done with it so you don't have to come back to it.

Yesterday I had a small shoot...very small shoot. Neighbor wanted images of her daughter (4 years old)...she was restless we took 10 images and that was it. When I downloaded 3 of them were bad...the rest were keepers. So I deleted those 3, made a file with the other 7 and waaala I'm done. I'll keep that file for 6 months and if she doesn't want anymore after 6 months...I delete the whole file.

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I never want to go through that painful process so I'm more and more critical with the photos I keep or not !

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    That's a good habit to have to be honest. I was going through last years boys high school basketball images. I deleted a thousand or so just because I really don't need them anymore. Any images I kept for a portfolio I left, but other then that I am not selling them anymore so why keep them.

7. fotographiq

fotographiq Guest

Organizing photos can be a royal pain in the butt. If I were doing this professionally, I would stay much more on top of it than I do now.

8. timross

timross

Aug 16, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    As soon as I return from my shoot, first thing I do is burn all images to a DVD. I then go through each one and import only the good pics into LR. I then copy images off my DVD to my external drive. Hey, call me paranoid, but I have seen way too many system crashes, and hard disk recovery is not cheap!

9. That's how I am now... well kinda sorta - I am working on it - I do take a lot less pictures than I used to...

That's what I should do however I glad I kept some images I thought I could save once I got the proper software to post process and you know what ... I now have those software tools - it is going to be a very long and lonely winter but in the end I'll have less than 500 gigs of pictures remaining out of 3 terabytes and that will be a good start.

But yea... last year's clients pic will be gone by January.

10. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Likewise... The problem I have however, is sitting in front of the computer TOOOOO long determining which pics are only worthy of the recycle bin. Other times if I'm torn, I find that looking at them the next day is very helpful.

On another note... DAMN I feel new only having about 4200 pictures, of which only about 2500 taken with my D80 compared to the people in the 5, possible 6 digits... :tongue:

11. I really need to do this too ... but can never seem to find the time. It's much easier to keep buying more hard drives :biggrin:

12. I do this after I import them to LR2

As I go through each pic on the first pass, I set Flagged and Reject (some are left Unflagged)

I then select - Delete all Rejects

So I do end up with a number of unflagged photos, that i never use - however all the bad pics are GONE

Then my backup runs - so at least I am not wasting room on my external drive for bad pics