Cleaning the Sensor on the D2X

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Reggie, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Reggie

Reggie

Dec 10, 2005
    Parrish, FL
    I'm wondering if anyone on the Cafe has tried this. If so, how did you do it and what were the results? My camera needs it.

2. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    From My Experience

I've been through 2 D70 Bodies, D2H bodies and I'm on my second D2X...I change lenses in the field constantly (daily and several times a day, several days a week) outside in the wind AT THE BEACH and the only thing I've ever needed to do is to use a Rocket Blower. I do it once a week whether I need it or not and it takes less than a minute.

Honestly...I can't fathom how anyone can get enough stuff on their sensor that they need to wipe the darn thing with cleaning solution????

Mine should be covered with crud and it's clean as a whistle with the exception of a stray dust bunny once in a great while.

4. Well I went with the http://www.visibledust.com cleaning kit. I got it when I had my D70 and it works quite well, but with the D2X I use the Giottos Rocket blower and that keeps the senor clean.

I have not had to use the brushes on this camera.
    With the CMOS sensor there is somethig different about it that it does not attract as much dust and a CCD sensor..

5. I clean mine as needed, which so far has been 2 times since march. I use the copperhill products and have no issues with it, simple and straightforward.
    Dave

6. Reggie

Reggie

Dec 10, 2005
    Parrish, FL
    I'm wondering if it is possible to get condensation on the sensor. Last Spring, I went to the Alligator Farm in St Augustine. We stayed in a nearby motel. On the morning of the second shoot, when I took the camera and lens from the motel to the car, I noticed that condensation had formed on my 600 f.4 lens due to the high humidity outside and the temp differential of the stuff that had been inside the motel room overnight. I am wondering if I could have gotten condensation that later dried; on the sensor at that time. The spots are not that noticable, and they are easily removed in PS. Still, they are an aggravation.

7. Ron,
    I had similar blothes when minw was new. Charlie Stout(another cafe member) demonstrated the process to me and others. It was so simple, blotches gone. Had a few spots show up later(months later) did it again and all is well again. It really is quite simple. I use copperhill products including the Eclipse fluid, no problems. I have a visible dust brush and Gittios rocket blower too. I use what is required.
    Dave

8. First I try the rocket blower. Then I try the artist brush (non-animal, of course) first blown with the rocket blower to charge it statically. Then once, horrors!, the mark wouldn't come off. I finally used the pec pad with the solution (ener-something) it still wouldn't come off....my worst fear was that I scratched the element..since I figured I really messed up I tried it again with another pec pad treatment and a bit more solution...it finally came off.

What had happened was some salt spray, or dirt-laden moisture (I had shot around the Washington D.C. tidal basin and apparently picked up some moisture with dirt.) Whew!

The sensor surface is not extremely fragile...but it's not bulletproof glass either. Common sense will work but don't be ham-fisted. The greatest pressure would be a bit lighter than I would use polishing my eyeglasses with microfiber cloth. I always use "bulb" with a freshly charged battery. Spending a hundred or so for a power supply just so the lens won't snap shut because a battery might die is a bit over the top for me.

Rich

9. Reggie

Reggie

Dec 10, 2005
    Parrish, FL
    Thanks guys for taking the time to share your wisdom with me. You have made me feel a lot better over the prospect of having to clean the sensor. As I said earlier, the spots now are not all that obtrusive, so I think I'll wait a little bit before attempting the cleaning process, it is sort of like a colonoscopy I suppose, sooner or later, you gotta do it. Thanks.

10. ouch, but yes

11. Hi Reggie,

Last year, two times, I had problem with condensation deposits on my D100 CCD by changing lens in a humid environment when the body is still cold (once at the Alligator Farm last summer).

I used the same kit as Dave to clean it (Eclipse sensor cleaner liquid (pure alcool) and Sensor swabs). It took only two minutes to do the cleaning.

Be sure to use a full charge battery to prevent the shutter to close in the mid of the cleaning and don't use the same swab side twice since it will put back the dirt on the sensor.

12. It's not quite that bad, especially the day before :rolleyes: