1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Climbing to and on a Glacier - Baffin Island, Canada

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Sep 12, 2008.

1. The stuff we do to bring back photos for the Cafe :cool: ...

One of the hikes offered in Sam Ford Fjord on Baffin Island, Canada was up to and possibly onto a glacier, about a mile from shore. Nan & I decided to give it a go.

It was slow and careful going because of all the boulders in the moraine that we had to climb over:
    370982685_3x2D6-XL.

After a lot of rocks, we could at least see the glacier:
    370982777_YUPH6-XL.

After nearly thirty minutes we were getting closer:
    370983204_JHkKC-XL.

370983294_ozFPy-XL.

Then it was up onto the ice:
    370983660_awC5T-XL.

Part was snow covered, but even the icy part was not very slippery:
    370983770_gaKWS-XL.

There were several big rocks "plucked" from the cliff faces on the ice:
    370984012_ymLJk-XL.

Looking back into the fjord, you could see our ship:
    370983815_oU7Qk-XL.

Time to head back down (climbing down is harder than climbing up :confused: ):
    370983946_7wdwv-XL.

Nan & I are getting too old for this...:eek: 
    Bob & Nan

2. Another very interesting series, Bob. Glad you could make the side trip and bring back such interesting photos. Thanks for sharing.

3. Yes, another great set. The images are wonderful and make me want to go there.

4. a beautiful and desolate part of the earth
    nice series, bob & nan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.