Close, but no cigar!

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Harry Lavo, Jun 22, 2007.

1. As close as I've yet come to the holy grail of ball-on-bat (although at 1/250 it would be more like blur-on-blur).:smile:

How about showing your closest?

[​IMG]
    1/250, f/2.8, 185mm, iso200

2. Great work Harry and Frank, I know how hard that is to do.

3. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    DSC_1290ZPw.

:biggrin:

I know, I know, it's just T-Ball, so it's cheating. :wink:

4. Wow, Frank. Three ON and three JUST OFF. And all razor sharp. That is one IMPRESSIVE collection. Thanks!

5. No problem, Greg. Beyond a certain point, cropping is a matter of taste. I like to get the ump in when possible, but your's is certainly more focused, which of course a good crop should do. Thanks.

And you've got a nice shot, not only of the ball on bat, but also the look on the kid's face....like he KNOWS he's got the ball on the bat!:smile:

6. Still, love that face!

7. Thanks, Greg. One of the reasons I tend to have so much area in the frame is that I find I have to see the batter and the catcher in the viewfinder to judge when to click the shutter. I find catching the ball much easier with a single click than a sequence. Both batter and catcher make small moves that signal when the ball will be over the plate. That said, getting the ball on the bat or close to it is (at least with the D50) more a matter of luck than anything else.

Just for fun the other night I decided to use the long tele and focus in just over the plate, where the batters hands and bat would be (and hopefully the ball) but I couldn't see either the batter or the catcher. I must have shot 30 shots to get the ball in even one frame...I just couldn't tell when the pitch was coming...and even that one frame was of a foul tip (see below). Context is everything, I think.

[​IMG]

8. Wow Frank! Great capture...looks like either a homer or a foul to right field...which was it?