Close encounter of the Osprey Kind

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Still stewing over Harry's Eagle posting but I've managed to regain enough composure to work this little series up.

While at Gatorland, it isn't unusual to see a flying Osprey in the sky but they usually are dive-bombing in the pond close to the road and never able to get a good shot at them. I was pleasantly surprised while standing on the Observation Deck to see the following:
    [​IMG]

So I snapped off some shots of him figuring he'd be flying away very shortly. Instead, he started doing this and squawking very loudly:
    [​IMG]

He'd calm down then assume this pose:
    [​IMG]

Then I saw what he was trying to do:
    [​IMG]

Ah, ok, so he's trying to eat his lunch. Then suddenly this again:
    [​IMG]

Ok. Now I see the problem:
    [​IMG]

This continued for a good 15-20 minutes. I left for a while since I had about 100 shots of this, then came back to find him comfortably perched in the branch. Vulture is gone, his lunch has settled. Shortly thereafter he flew off.
    [​IMG]

All taken handheld with the 300/f4 + 1.7tc except for the shot of both birds which was with the 70-200 + 1.7tc. Thanks for looking! :smile:

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kev,

You are killing me (again). I gotta get there, soon. :rolleyes:

3. C'mon, then! The birdies are a-waitin' for ya! :smile:

Just trying to do my part to promote the area and continuing to flame the MI3 fire!! :wink: It's only going to get better, you know!! :biggrin:

4. Just fantastic shots here very very well done, I cant wit to get down there

5. Kevin these are just great. I really like the colors and setting. Around here they always perched on the man made nest. Ours are all gone here until next summer so I am glad to see new shots of them.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Ata way to come back Kevin!!
    Harry hits ya with his Eagles, and you make a solid play with this dynamite series! :biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

As for me well I got hot dogs and marshmellows under the rock!! :biggrin:

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Wow.. Great series of photos Kevin...

8. Thanks Mike! Yeah, I'm getting exciting thinking about how much busier it's going to get as the months go by! I remember seeing the shots from last year and have been looking forward to this since then.

9. great great series. It is an added plus to understand natures interactions through a lens.

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Wow

These are some of the bast Osprey shots I've seen here. Coupl'a wallhangers in there for sure! WTG! Excellent work Kevin!

11. Hi Jim! Thanks for the kind words! I didn't realize Osprey left for the winter. Interesting. That's one of the good things of living in Florida. Most of these birds stay year round. :wink:

12. Thanks Ben! Well, they're not Eagles but I'm happy with them. Guess it doesn't matter the order you take the shots for your collection just so long as you get them.

Got room for a fire under your rock? Roasted marshmallows are good! That's what I'm eating while under my rock? :wink:

13. Thanks Dave & Dave! I was fortunate to get to witness this little exchange. Lately my luck's been when I've seen something interesting to shoot, it's there for a minute then gone the next. This one continued for quite a while. I just love the intense look in the Osprey's eyes when they're glaring at you. And those claws!!!! :eek:

14. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shot Kevin. Marvlous detail and clarity. They nake good practice until we can get an eagle in your sights. I think you will get your eagle this weekend.

15. Man all the feather detail and those slightly sharp talons on the Osprey....

See now this is the resolution you should be getting out of the D2x and combo you have there..

Now Kevin get a real job already and quit playing with your camera every day....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

16. Hey Kevin

What an opportunity! Love the background. I notice it changes in some of your shots - were you able to move around to different shooting spots?

17. Wow back, Steve!

Geez....comments like these really make me feel like I'm on my way to "getting there". Fortunately, I like the punishment of practice, practice, practice. Still have a long way to go, but I'm having fun on the journey!!

Thanks, Steve, for the kind, generous words!

18. Thanks Harry! Truth be told, I was planning a covert trip over there to test my luck and impress you with my big, huge, gigantic, full-frame Eagle shot but then the alcohol wore off. :wink: I'm coming over definitely on Sunday but maybe Fri/Sat. I'll holler if I do (lord knows I need your luck for them to appear)

19. Great series Kevin..

20. Hahaha, Eric! :smile: I wish photography was my real job. I so enjoy being out shooting. Unfortunately, I'm stuck behind my computer writing code. :redface:

I've really come to love these Ospreys. They look so impressive.

And as for the combo...it's just recently that I've been seeing consistant results from the camera/lenses/tc. Not sure what the reason is but maybe just always practicing. Starting to think more about what I'm doing and paying attention to better handholding technique. Seems to be working, though.

Thanks for taking time to comment!