Close Encounters of the Bird kind....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Backdoctor, Sep 11, 2005.

1. went over to the high school to get some late afternoon light on the Sandhills. There were about 13 there, and 7 or 8 more flew in, blew the flight shots as my shutter speed was too slow. Shoulda taken the tc off as I really didnt need it. Below are all uncropped shots...

original.
    original.
    original.

now as you know, I shoot these guys all the time. They walk up to me and eat right next to me, pecking at the ground. My wife was with me, and one with a healed leg fracture went towards her, in a way I've seen others do to scare her off. Must not have liked her yellow shirt, or the flash of the D100. Eventually he got curious about me. I talked to him a bit, then he checked out my monopod, pecking at various parts of it..
    original.

at one point I had my back to him, and was talking to Mary, then turned around to shoot more, and must have spooked him as he made a funny noise and flapped his wings to jump back.

2. Trained Sandhill's, whoda thunk? Something happens to birds when they get to Florida, perhaphs it's watching all the retired people. :eek:

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jeez Harris, I think Jim was right. You do carry dead fish in your pockets. :biggrin:

Incredible shots. :smile:

4. hey, this was dangerous duty I'll have you know.... :cool:

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super close shots you got there buddy. The details are just phenomenal! Mary's shot's real good too. Nothing like a little "photography therapy" to get your mind off a;; other things, huh?

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Okay Harris, now try it with WILD birds! :)

Seriously, lovely work as always and my favs would be 1 & 3.

Neil

7. jaminphoto

jaminphoto

Jul 7, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Wow, the first one is just phenomenal. I didnt even know crane's head has those textures. I wish you did vertical composition and included the whole beak though.

--ricardo

8. I tried for that, but they werent always cooperative.

9. cool shots. this ould have been a hoot with the 10.5mm fisheye!!