Close focusing???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fyrbolt, May 16, 2007.

1. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I just bought a Sigma 17-70 macro. Where do they measure from, when they say "minimum focusing distance - 20cm/7.9 in."?

I was trying to take a close up shot of a couple of items and the lens almost touched the items (1/2 inch) and it would still focus and lock on. If I had the hood it would have touched it. Is this normal? I'm not complaining, I just didn't know what to expect.

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ray-

focusing distance is from the sensor plane. if you look at the top of your camera, you'll find a circle with a line through it. that's the sensor plane. measure 20cm from this point, and that should be the closest you can focus.

ricky

3. Oh now I know what that circle which got a line through it means! Ah new things to learn everyday.

4. Working distance, the distance from the front of the lens to the subject, is important to many macro shooters. That's why the longer lenses, 150, 180, 200, etc. are preferred by many of us. I love 50, 60, 85, etc macro lenses but they present real challenges when it comes to lighting. It's easy to block your own light with these shorter lenses and flash isn't always the answer (though it usually is).

5. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Thanks FKS... That makes sense. That is some close focusing then...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.