Close to Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Allan, May 18, 2007.

1. Here in New England, I have my 500 with 1.4 tc on the camera all the time - and I still am too far away most of the time. I was very happy to see Uncle Frank's post on an egret rookery in Palo Alto, CA. He posted images about a month before my wife and I were to visit him for his graduation from Stanford. I brought a 300, a 70-200, and an 18-200 (for family shots) with me on the plane. I only had an hour, and the light was harsh, but I really enjoyed the place.
    Why? - because this was the first time I was close to egrets and herons. I am usually so jealous when I read about the February Florida trips. Here are a few. The composition in many shots I took was poor. I usually focus with the center point and then crop. Here, I was too close too crop. A new problem. :smile:

Below are two snowy egrets and two black-crowned night herons. Oh, and by the way, thanks Frank.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2007
  2. tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Excellent shots.
  3. WOW, talk about vivid color, sharpness, composition, Okay, Awsome photos! :biggrin:
  4. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images
  5. Very Very Nice and the 2nd one is outstanding
  6. Thanks for the comments. I learned another thing too. If the birds are close enough I can use a 70-200 f2.8 instead of 500 f/4 with 1.4. Wow! I never had such fast and accurate focusing on flight shots before.

I just wish I had had more time and been able to get there around sunrise.