close up lens or tubes???

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by fyrbolt, Aug 3, 2007.

1. fyrbolt

fyrbolt

Feb 2, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I am thinking of dabbling into macro shots. I don't think I'll do a whole lot but I do want to take the occassional flower shot or something small like rings or watches, etc.

The two lenses that I am considering for macro are my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM Macro and the Nikon 85 f1.8.

Should I get the 6T for the 85mm or the 500D for the sigma? Will the 500D make a difference on the Sigma when it's already considered a macro and lets me close focus to 39"? Are tubes a better option.

From what I've read, it seems that close up lenses are better than tubes.

Thanks for any advise or opinions given.....

2. I used tubes successfully on my Sigma 70-200/2.8 non-macro version, and with a TC as well. Results were good, quite good actually. I used the Kenko AF tubes. Tubes give you more flexibility than diopters but, I'd suggest a Canon 500D and a set of tubes if it's in your budget. Lotsa possibilities that way. Ditto for the 85/1.8. The Sigma 70-200 is a very fine lens and the Canon 500D is a high quality product too. Nikon diopters are quite good by reputation but I have not used them. I think the largest you can get though is 67mm.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nikon diopters come in two sizes, 52mm and 62mm and are made to be used on telephoto lenses of 300mm or more. I find the ext tubes more useful, though you will loose some light. The ext tubes have no optics to degrade the image.